Energy Northwest, a Municipal Corporation and Joint Operating Agency of the State of Washington doing business on behalf of the Business Development Fund (EN or “Owner”), is soliciting competitive proposals (also interchangeably referred to as “Bids” herein) from experienced, qualified bidders for the Horn Rapids Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) Project (referred to as “Project” or “BESS”) which will be located on Energy Northwest leased land at 2800 Horn Rapids Road Richland, WA 99354.
In order to provide the best fit of qualifications to the Scope of Work, Bidder will be selected in accordance with Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 43.52.567. The Work described herein is considered Public Work. Work performed in the State of Washington is subject to Prevailing Wage requirements under Washington State Law, RCW 39.12. Bidder must be licensed in Washington State if Work is performed in the State of Washington.
To ensure EN receives sufficient Bidders for this competitive procurement, we have identified below the following information as requirements to be qualified for this procurement. These requirements are intended to allow Bidders to consider this opportunity and allow Bidders to self-select their firm in or out of this process. It is meant to be efficient and transparent.
Bidders interested shall submit to EN on or before April 29, 2019 10:00 A.M. PST their Letter of Intent (LOI) to Bid this project. The following information shall be regarded when responding with your LOI.
Battery Energy Storage System Description
The Bidder shall be responsible for all aspects of a turn-key project; design, procurement, delivery, construction (including wiring, grounding, and communications), commissioning, and ongoing maintenance of a Battery Energy Storage System (BESS). This specification defines a factory built, fully functioning BESS with batteries, Power Conversion System (PCS), enclosure(s), BESS switchgear, battery management system, fire detection and suppression, environmental systems, control system, site controller, internal wiring, communication and software, and all required programming for integration with Owner’s existing Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) system. Owner shall provide oversight during the Engineering, Procurement and Construction process.
Critical Features – EN requirements of the BESS to have the following critical features:
- The BESS shall be capable of providing 1MVA AC / 4MWh at the Point of Interconnection (POI)
- POI is defined as the connection to Owner’s equipment, which will be the low-side terminals of the step-up transformer.
- The primary performance requirement is that the Project must be capable of operating safely, reliably and continuously at all ranges of power output and ambient conditions. The BESS shall have monitoring from several customer-owned SCADA systems, but will not be staffed for constant operations and maintenance. The BESS must be designed to be completely automated and report failure problems via SCADA to Owner operators.
- The BESS must be capable of performing the following use cases:
- Load Following/Shaping8Voltage Support/Volt-Var Control
- Transmission Congestion Relief/Transmission charge reduction
- Time-of-Use Charge Reduction
- Demand Charge Reduction
- Solar Energy Smoothing/firming
- Solar Energy Time Shifting
- The Bidder must provide a minimum (25) year BESS performance guarantee.
Requirements for this Public Works Project also include the following:
Bidder’s must have a current certificate of registration number as a contractor in compliance with RCW 18.27, which must be in effect at the time of Bid due date.
Performance And Payment Bond: Contractor shall furnish in favor of EN, a Performance and Payment Bond for one-hundred percent (100%) of the Contract Price. The Performance and Payment Bond shall be furnished promptly upon the issuance of the Contract.
Retainage: Pursuant to Chapter 60.28 RCW, all payments made under this Contract shall have a sum retained equal to five percent (5%) of the approved invoiced amount.
Contact Sherri Schwartz, Principal Contracting Officer for a complete procurement package. firstname.lastname@example.org.