Workforce Management Specialist – Focus on Field Services (24/7 rotating shifts)
Resource Management Department; Portland, OR
Posting # 50238138
August 18, 2017
NW Natural is headquartered in Portland, Ore., and provides natural gas service to about 700,000 residential, commercial, and industrial customers in Oregon and Southwest Washington State. It is the largest independent natural gas utility in the Pacific Northwest.
NW Natural has a fully centralized work management structure for the oversight of all our field operations. This means that all work performed out in the “field” by our technicians is planned, scheduled and assigned to the field by the Workforce Management Specialist position, in the Resource Management Center (RMC).
The RMC’s purpose is to support the safe, reliable and cost-effective delivery of natural gas to our customers by forecasting, planning and assigning work to internal and contracted field personnel for all aspects of NW Natural’s field operations, including customer service, system maintenance, construction and restoration, and emergency response, based on workforce availability, geographic optimization and schedule management.
The RMC department runs 24/7. This position primarily rotates between a 4pm-4am or 6pm-6am shift while a rotation of dayshift may be required as needed. This position is responsible for:
- Building work plans for the area/type of work they are accountable for to meet various targets/goals set by the company, e.g. budget spend; due dates; service appointments; overtime and fatigue management; work efficiency (minimize job delays and unnecessary travel time).
- Developing work schedules outlining when the work will be performed for each work group and/or geographic region, and including decisions on whether to perform with company personnel or contractors.
- Building personnel schedules to ensure adequate resources are available to perform planned work, including approval of vacations/time-off, changes to schedules and shifts, changes to work location and approval of overtime.
- Assigning the work to the field and monitoring it for timely completion or for additional time/resources needed.
- Ensuring that unplanned emergency response work is responded to with the appropriate skill set and on a timely basis, while ensuring all other targets are met.
- Supports and promotes the Company’s commitment to a culture of safe work practices.
The field operations we manage include:
- Service work – working on gas meters, furnaces, water heaters or other gas appliances
- System maintenance – managing and maintaining the gas piping and infrastructure, including inspections, repairs and replacement
- Credits and billing – meter reads, credit collections and/or turn-offs
- 24/7 Emergency Response: responding to unplanned gas escaping, whether inside or outside buildings/property