APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 1, 2016
Portland General Electric values the energy of teamwork, diversity, and innovation to provide our customers with safe and reliable power. As Oregon’s largest provider of electric service, PGE is helping to shape Oregon’s energy future.
What is it like to work at PGE? Well, it’s fun. It’s challenging. It’s enriching. And with the average employee spending nearly 14 years with us, we think you’ll like it too.
You’ll work with talented coworkers in a supportive and results-oriented environment. Our progressive vision and commitment to excellence in our service and operations will keep you and your coworkers engaged and aimed towards excellence.
Are you ready to be part of an essential, dynamic and motivating company? Join our team – apply for a position today.
Transmission Engineer I/II
Portland Service Center
Functions in a mid-level engineer capacity, under general supervision. Provide technical engineering support and assistance for transmission and distribution construction & maintenance projects. Perform the basic functions of a transmission and distribution design engineer by providing sound engineering solutions to complex problems. Develop designs for new overhead transmission and overhead and underground distribution facilities as well as upgrades and maintenance of existing facilities. Provide technical support to construction crews in the field.
Provide transmission and distribution project management expertise resulting in cost effective, reliable and workable construction designs and customer connections. Provide internal/external customer consultation and project coordination that meets project needs consistent with company Tariff, Design Standards, NESC requirements and applicable codes.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide design for overhead and underground distribution and transmission line projects ranging from 12.5kV to 115kV. Develop designs, plans, and specifications for distribution line capital and maintenance projects. Evaluate possible alternatives to meet both major and minor distribution line project requirements, including line routing, site preparation, facility siting, conduit design, structure design, specifications and material orders.
- Assist with the design and analysis of transmission projects (from 57kV to 500kV), both capital and maintenance including the development of plans, specifications, estimates and schedules.
- Initiate work orders and track expenditures as required to implement capital and maintenance project assignments.
- Coordinate and work with material manufacturers, contract construction resources and company personnel to ensure the integrity and completion of distribution line projects on schedule and within budget.
- Prepare budgetary cost estimates for distribution line projects.
- Assist other PGE departments (Survey, Planning, UAM, Property) by providing technical support as required.
- Develop engineering proficiency and technical knowledge of all current techniques, applicable codes, and regulations with respect to distribution design.
- Usher jobs through the full design cycle, from initial scoping and preliminary design through construction and as-built documentation.
- Assist construction crews in the field by providing technical expertise for real-time problems.
- Maintain and expand knowledge of state of the art technologies including design software, LiDAR, Infrared cameras, UV cameras, and such that can be leveraged to create a more efficient and valuable work flow.