Company Name: The City of Tacoma
Phone Number: (253) 591-5400
Job Title: Transmission & Distribution Substation Engineer
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: May 10, 2017
Salary: $91,145.60 - $139,006.40
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power’s Transmission and Distribution Section is seeking an engineer to act as the lead substation engineer in support of Tacoma Power’s mission to provide safe and reliable electric service.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Design, project management, and commissioning of substation capital improvement projects. Work is performed on 15 kV, 115 kV, and 230 kV systems and includes power transformers, circuit breakers, switchgear, instrument transformers, buses, and associated components
- Analysis, evaluation, modeling, and design of substation grounding systems
- Partner with civil engineering staff on designs, specifications, and permitting of substation civil/structural elements
- Provide responsive construction support to T&D crews during capital project installations
- Mentor, guide, and develop junior engineering staff and direct, review and stamp drawings, plans, and specifications produced by non-licensed staff
- Procurement of major and minor substation assets or components, including preparation of specifications, evaluation of products and suppliers, and factory quality assurance processes
- Write capital project requests and business case analyses in support of biennial budget creation, evaluation, and approval
- Perform duties of Substation Engineering Supervisor during Supervisor absences, including timecard and purchase approvals, and staff meetings
- Lead collaborative troubleshooting of substation systems or components, working with craft personnel to identify and diagnose root causes, evaluate approaches and/or solutions, and see tasks through to resolution
- Participate as a subject matter expert on relevant NERC standards
- Prepare accurate technical reports
- Understand and apply electrical technical and safety codes and regulations
This position requires excellent communication skills to interact regularly with a diverse audience in other groups: engineering (civil, protection and control, technicians, communications, line), project management, system planning, construction and maintenance crews, and system operations, and industrial or commercial customers.
Four-year degree from an accredited college or university in electrical engineering and a Washington State Professional Engineer (PE) License or ability to obtain by comity.
To be considered at the top of the range, you must have five years of electric utility, industrial, or consulting experience working with transmission and distribution substations; demonstrated engineering competence and judgment; effective verbal and written communication, team and time management skills; and a working knowledge of applicable codes and laws.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Demonstrated knowledge and fundamental understanding of power systems including generators, substation, and transmission lines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should apply online and must attach a detailed resume and cover letter that highlights job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in one or more interviews. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check. A valid driver’s license with maintenance thereafter is a condition of employment.
If you have any questions regarding this position please call the Human Resources office at (253) 591-5400.
Click Here to Apply!
Posting End Date: June 9, 2017