Company Name: Tacoma Power
Job Title: T&D Engineering Manager
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: March 15, 2017
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power is a municipally-owned electric utility serving approximately 170,000 customers across a service area of 180 square miles. It is one of three operating divisions of Tacoma Public Utilities, along with Tacoma Water and Tacoma Rail. “Community Value First” is our strategic principle; we consider our decisions and prioritize resources and programs based on the impact to our customers and community. As the successful candidate, you will be joining the Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Section in Tacoma Power. Our culture values safety, communication, accountability, professionalism, integrity and respect.
As the T&D Engineering Manager, you will manage the T&D engineering functions of the Tacoma Power Electrical Transmission and Distribution System, providing vision, leadership and management of the T&D Engineering group in a safe, cost-effective manner resulting in reliable, low-cost energy for our customers. You will organize, coordinate, and direct engineering activities to meet the requirements of internal and external customers while ensuring projects support Tacoma Power’s Strategic Plan and meet its short/long term goals enhancing electrical system reliability, and contributing to the economic well-being of the community.
- This position manages Substation Engineering, Line Engineering, Protection & Control Engineering, Central Business District Engineering, Projects & Services, and Engineering Products & Services. The T&D Engineering group provides planning, design, engineering and project management services to operate and maintain the transmission and distribution system. This includes substations, underground network system, and overhead transmission and distribution systems;
- Manage business processes and work practices that result in cost-effective construction, operation and maintenance of the electrical system to ensure reliability and competitive rates;
- Approve plans, designs, bid specifications, and agreements that support system reliability, growth, and prudent asset management;
- Monitor and review projects and activities to assure schedules are met, problems are anticipated and resolved, communications are timely and effective, proper analysis and evaluations are done, and results are achieved;
- Prepare and manage an operational and capital budget that reflects Tacoma Power’s priorities;
- Train, mentor and supervise assigned personnel, setting expectations and goals, assigning and reviewing work, and evaluating performance;
- Actively and constructively participate on the T&D Management Team, including decision-making and setting policies and procedures for the section;
- Assist in strategic planning to accomplish the missions of Tacoma Power and the T&D Section.
City of Tacoma Recruitment Information:
One of the primary goals of the City of Tacoma Equity and Empowerment Initiative is that the City of Tacoma workforce reflects the community it serves. We actively work to eliminate racial and other disparities and we welcome candidates with diverse and/or multicultural skill sets and personal experiences. Our goal is for Tacoma to be an inclusive and equitable place to live, work, and play.
- Ten years of engineering design experience (Substation, Relays, Communications, Line, and Project Management field), five years of which included supervisory/managerial and project manager responsibilities;
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with degree in electrical engineering;
- Professional Electrical Engineer License;
- Valid driver’s license or equivalent ability to travel throughout our service area;
- Successful candidate will have demonstrated competencies and significant accomplishments from prior work experience;
- Project Management Professional preferred
Posting End Date: March 31, 2017