Company Name: Grant County PUD
Phone Number: (509) 793-1569
City: Soap Lake
Job Title: System Operator Trainee I – Senior System Operator
Number of Openings: 2
Position Type: System Operator
Posting Start Date: May 9, 2018
Salary: $44.33 - $60.76/Hourly (DOE)
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 12
Work Time Type: Hours
The purpose of the System Operator Trainee training program is to help employees develop skills to progress to Senior System Operator status, if they have the aptitude and determination to be successful as a Senior System Operator. During the training program, the employee will successfully complete all skilled occupational tasks, objectives, steps, etc. as outlined in the training program, and as assigned by the Manager Dispatch or designee, and will be able to perform all tasks and duties of a Senior System Operator before completing System Operator Trainee IV status.
Duties – System Operator Trainee I
The System Operator Trainee I:
- Will work different shifts, including day and rotating, as required
- Will be assigned training per the System Operator Trainee training program covering topics and functions such as:
- The Grant County distribution system, which may include shadowing field crews
- Finding, reading, and working from work orders
- Radio procedure
- Using operating maps
- Switching methods and safety tagging procedures
- Logging events and activities
- Drafting sample switch orders, with help and oversight, based on electrical schematics and one lines for simple events. Identify possible problem areas for complex events
- Working with outage coordinator to gain expertise regarding switching orders, notifications, tools (posting in COS, etc.), and other aspects of outage scheduling
- Identifying equipment used in transmission, distribution, and generation
- Identifying field personnel and typical jurisdictions and locations where they work
- Becoming aware of computer software and procedures used in the Control Center such as EMS, ARCOS, WIT, EAS, COS, switching, etc.
- Becoming aware of roles of regulatory organizations such as NERC, WECC, NWPP, etc.
- Other duties assigned by Senior System Operator, Operations Technical Advisor, System Operator Trainer, and/or Manager Dispatch
- Will create and retain a notebook of topics to be demonstrated when out with field personnel
- Will work 12-hour rotating shift for consecutive weeks as determined by the Manager Dispatch
- Will demonstrate knowledge of Trainee I tasks before progressing
- Demonstrated commitment to Grant PUD’s mission, vision, values, strategic plan and Vision 2021. The incumbent should be familiar with these organizational priorities and behave in a way that aligns with these expectations.
- Understand and adhere to compliance requirements for this position that may include laws, regulations, security guidelines, Grant PUD policies & procedures.
- Actively participate in all aspects of our safety program, including but not limited to:
- Following all safety policies and procedures;
- Alerting supervisors and coworkers to unsafe or hazardous working conditions;
- Reporting any safety incidents or close calls within 24 hours to your supervisor; and
- Accepting feedback from supervisors and coworkers regarding your own safety performance.
Minimum time limits in trainee position will be three months. Maximum time limit in trainee position will be six months with substantive progress demonstrated throughout
- Successful completion of one or more apprentice programs in electrical field, or equivalent electrical education or experience
- Basic electricity knowledge and basic understanding of electrical schematics
- Familiar with electrical worker’s safety rules and safety tagging procedures
Posting End Date: June 8, 2018