Company Name: Portland General Electric
Phone Number: (503) 464-7250
Job Title: Specialist VI – Balancing Authority Operator (R17-272)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: May 22, 2017
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: full time
Work Time Type: Hours
APPLICATION DEADLINE: June 26, 2017
Portland General Electric values the energy of teamwork, diversity, and innovation to provide our customers with safe and reliable power. As Oregon’s largest provider of electric service, PGE is helping to shape Oregon’s energy future.
What is it like to work at PGE? Well, it’s fun. It’s challenging. It’s enriching. And with the average employee spending nearly 14 years with us, we think you’ll like it too.
You’ll work with talented coworkers in a supportive and results-oriented environment. Our progressive vision and commitment to excellence in our service and operations will keep you and your coworkers engaged and aimed towards excellence.
Are you ready to be part of an essential, dynamic and motivating company? Join our team – apply for a position today.
Specialist VI – Balancing Authority Operator
Reliably operate PGE’s Balancing Authority, monitor minute-by-minute power production by PGE generating resources, facilitate energy deliveries to customer loads inside PGE’s Balancing Authority, and perform real-time scheduling and delivery of transmission and ancillary services. Comply with applicable PGE tariffs and rules, Western Energy Imbalance Market (EIM) tariffs and business practices, and with NERC/WECC reliability Standards. Direct other personnel to take actions necessary to ensure safe and reliable operation of PGE’s transmission system.
- Minimum 5 years of electric utility work experience, of which at least four years involve either experience as a NERC certified system operator or in real-time operation of power plants or transmission systems
- Typically a degree or military experience in a technical field.
- Thorough knowledge of the theory, precepts, and practices involved in operation of a Balancing Authority.
- Thorough knowledge of Locational Marginal Pricing and bidding.
- Thorough knowledge of PGE (or related) power scheduling and dispatching policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of electrical theory underlying reliable operation of electrical systems.
- Thorough knowledge of PGE’s (or utility) Open Access Transmission Tariff (OATT) and related FERC rules and Standards of Conduct.
- Thorough knowledge of NERC and WECC reliability Standards and related procedures and guidelines for operation of the bulk electric system in the western interconnection.
- Thorough knowledge of PGE transmission reservation, scheduling, and curtailment procedures.
- Cope with the demands of 12 hour rotating shift work.
How to Apply:
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline:
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
Interested in the extras? PGE offers a range of competitive benefits including medical insurance, paid vacation, a company matching gift program, tuition reimbursement and retirement savings that includes a 401(k) plan with matching company contributions and a PGE stock purchase plan. Additionally, PGE provides robust on-the-job development and training opportunities, as well as incentives for meeting company goals and encouraging health, safety and community volunteerism.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Posting End Date: June 26, 2017