Company Name: Portland General Electric
Phone Number: (503) 464-7250
Job Title: Spec V, SDPM
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: April 20, 2018
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 20, 2018
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
Spec V, Service Design Project Manager R18-260
Provide non-supervisory direct leadership for the Contract Design group. Serve as the PGE liaison between Contractor and PGE. Responsibilities include but not limited to providing transmission and distribution design expertise resulting in cost effective, reliable and workable solution that meets company needs consistent with company tariff, design standards, requirements and applicable codes, managing production, quality and prioritization of work, reviewing and approving work and managing service contract .
You will support our journey by:
- Team Leadership – 25%
- Provide non-supervisory support of the day to day operation of Contract Design group
- Cover for the department supervisor during their absence
- Assist Supervisor with the assigning, reviewing and approving of Work Requests within approval authority
- Act as the primary group technical resource and provide design guidance for projects
- Provide coaching and training support to the EDS group, act as a mentor in the development and advancement of the team
- Enforce consistency within the team, as well as ensuring consistency across regional S&D groups
- Provide guidance to the team in handling and resolving customer concerns/complaints
- Identify and provide feedback to the supervisor on individual and team problems, and suggested changes for improvement
- Assist the supervisor in developing the department’s budget
- Model and promote management values, principles and culture
- Customer interaction/consultation – 15%
- Demonstrate strong, responsive, interpersonal communication and persuasion skills with both internal and external customers.
- Understand and project manage work through all steps and processes involved in customer work in progress; interpret and coordinate work with other PGE departments; able to demonstrate strong customer care/advocacy from an individual customer to a city/county/state agency and other utilities.
- Understand and interpret a variety of customer needs and translate those into design solutions that meet those needs, consistent with tariff and company standards, requirements and applicable codes.
- Design solutions and preparation – 30%
- Responsible for providing or supervising the complete design preparation applying complex technical analysis using current design technology resources; including drawings, material lists, design specifications, material specifications, corporate accounting, cost estimates, easements, permits, service requirements, and line extension agreements.
- Responsible for design decisions that reflects a cost effective, reliable, safe, constructible/maintainable transmission and distribution system.
- Demonstrated ability to apply thorough knowledge of all company standards and tariffs, knowledge of company policy, and applicable codes and local jurisdiction requirements
- Project coordination, work and project management – 30%
- Work with little or no direct supervision; accountable for ensuring all steps of the project process are completed considering timeliness and responsiveness to internal or external customers
- Ability to meet variety and quantity of customer demands by prioritizing and balancing multiple projects.
- Apply project management concepts to effectively manage multiple projects of varying size and at varying steps within the projects process; large and small residential, residential development, commercial, industrial customers, system maintenance work, road widening’s, etc.
You will bring the following skills to our team:
- Proven leadership skills and experience
- Successful completion of PGE’s Leadership Training curriculum
- Good human relations skills and effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to use project management concepts and project management skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply complex engineering and design concepts, PGE and industry standards, and governing codes. Thorough understanding of common engineering concepts and principles.
- Working knowledge of PGE’s electrical system. Thorough knowledge of transmission and distribution standards and practices. Working knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Ability to effectively plan, organizes, design, coordinate and manage multiple projects with changing timelines at different stages of the connection process.
- Proficient communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external entities.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a teamwork environment with internal customers
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills, including creative problem solving and technical analysis
- Basic understanding of PGE’s organization, finance, budget, human resources and Administrative procedures
- Typically 8-10 years of SDPM experience with 3 years as a Spec. IV, SDPM III and associate’s degree or equivalent combination.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL ABILITIES AND PROCESSES What reasoning and decision-making activities are involved in performing job.
- Required to plan and manage multiple assignments/tasks and prioritize workload to meet expectations and timelines.
- Required to work independently, as needed to complete project assignments.
- Ability to perform tasks in urgent situations. Job may require working extended hours to meet timelines or unplanned outages.
- High level of issue resolution skills. (Identify, assess, research, recommend solution(s), and follow through)
- Required to make independent decisions impacting cost, reliability, and safety.
- Assist in the restoration of transmission and distribution systems due to adverse and storm weather situations.
- When necessary, upon activation of the local Wire Down desk. Act in the supervisor role
- Must be physically able to work in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time, including but not limited to snow, ice and extreme wind.
- May be required to walk on uneven and unimproved surfaces, possibly climb fences, and perform other physical tasks while working in the field.
- May be required to change flat tires or install tire chains when necessary.
- May be confronted by agitated customers or animals. A good line of defense may be necessary in these cases.
- Must possess a valid Oregon driver’s license.
How to Apply:
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R18-260. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: May 20, 2018