Company Name: Portland General Electric
Job Title: SPEC IV, SDPM (R18-267)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: June 14, 2018
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time Type: Hours
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
SPEC IV, SDPM R18-267
Act as the primary point of contact on all assigned projects from first contact to final closing. Provide transmission and distribution project management expertise resulting in cost effective, reliable and workable construction designs and customer connections. Provide internal/external customer consultation and project coordination that meets project needs consistent with company Tariff, Design Standards, NESC requirements and applicable codes.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Customer interaction/consultation – 20%
- Demonstrate strong, responsive interpersonal/communication and persuasion skills with both internal and external customers.
- Understand and project manage work through all steps and processes involved in customer work in progress; interpret and coordinate work with other PGE departments; able to demonstrate strong customer care/advocacy from an individual customer to a city/county/state agency and other utilities.
- Understand and interpret a variety of customer needs and translate those into design and service connection solutions that meet those needs, consistent with tariff and company standards, requirements and applicable codes.
- Design solutions and preparation – 40%
- Responsible for providing and often overseeing the complete design preparation applying complex technical analysis using current design technology resources; including design software, drawings, material lists, design specifications, material specifications, corporate accounting, cost estimates, easements, permits, service requirements, and line extension agreements.
- Responsible for design decisions that reflects a cost effective, reliable, safe, constructible/maintainable transmission and distribution system.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of all company standards and tariffs, knowledge of company policy, and applicable codes and local jurisdiction requirements
- Project coordination, work and project management – 40%
- Work with no direct supervision, frequently in a lead and/or mentoring roll. Accountable for ensuring all steps of the project process are completed considering timeliness and responsiveness to internal or external customers.
- Ability to meet variety and quantity of customer demands by prioritizing and balancing multiple projects.
- Apply project management concepts to effectively manage multiple projects of varying size and at varying steps within the projects process; All projects including but not limited to residential, commercial, industrial, system maintenance, capacity additions, major budgeted projects, and major road widenings.
- Excellent oral, written, electronic communication skills are required to successfully satisfy customer and company needs.
- Effective communication with internal departments, external customers and other non-PGE entities, engineers, supervisors, surveyors, vendors, line construction personnel, etc.
- Effective human relation skills.
- Assignments and support role can involve multi-engineering disciplines and cross-functional direction. Information and technical references may not be readily available.
- Effective time and project management skills, balancing priorities to complete multiple assignments on-time, while meeting both company and customer needs.
- Flexibility to function under tight and changing timelines.
- Flexibility to understand and react appropriately to political processes and influences.
DECISIONS MADE (this position makes the following decisions)
- Optimal project Design.
- Design approvals.
- Application of Tariff, Design Standards, and adherence to the ESR and NESC.
- All customer and PGE costs and responsibilities and the approval of.
- The appropriate adherence to all ODOT, County, and Municipal requirements, codes and permits.
“COMPREHENSIVE” KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Comprehensive ability to use project management concepts and project management skills
- Comprehensive ability to apply engineering and design concepts, PGE and industry standards, and governing codes.
- Comprehensive understanding of common engineering concepts and principles.
- Comprehensive knowledge of PGE’s electrical system.
- Comprehensive knowledge of transmission and distribution standards and practices.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Comprehensive ability to effectively plan, organizes, design, coordinate and manage multiple projects with changing timelines at different stages of the connection process.
- Proficient communication skills. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external entities.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a teamwork environment with internal customers
- Demonstrated ability to use or learn to use PGE’s computer design tools including Maximo, ARC-FM/ARC-GIS, PLS-CAD Pole Foreman, and Sag10
- Bachelor of Science degree from an ABET accredited program in Civil Engineering or Construction Management preferred. May substitute formal education with 5+ years of SDPM, Design Engineer or Line Department experience.
- Good human relations skills and effective oral and written communication skills.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL ABILITIES AND PROCESSES
- Required to plan and manage multiple assignments/tasks and prioritize workload to meet expectations and timelines.
- Required to work independently, as needed to complete project assignments.
- Ability to perform tasks in urgent situations. Job may require working extended hours to meet timelines or unplanned outages.
- High level of issue resolution skills. (Identify, assess, research, recommend solution(s), and follow through)
- Required to make independent decisions impacting cost, reliability, and safety.
- Assist in the restoration of transmission and distribution systems due to adverse and storm weather situations.
- Must be physically able to work in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time, including but not limited to snow, ice and extreme wind.
- May be required to walk on uneven and unimproved surfaces, possibly climb fences, and perform other physical tasks while working in the field.
- May be required to change flat tires or install tire chains when necessary.
- May be confronted by agitated customers or animals. A good line of defense may be necessary in these cases.
- Must possess a valid Oregon driver’s license with no restrictions of use.
How to Apply:
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R18-267. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: July 14, 2018