Company Name: Portland General Electric
Job Title: SPEC IV – Automation Test and Energization R17-526
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Substation
Posting Start Date: February 28, 2018
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until filled
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
SPEC IV – Automation Test and Energization R17-526
Develop functional testing plans, support testing and assist technicians with implementation of Automation systems as part of Substation QA and Smart Grid efforts. Develop and monitor a Preventive Maintenance program for SCADA and other Automation systems. Ensure substation integration and automation systems are coordinated with the System Control Center using applicable interfaces and protocols. At NERC critical asset sites, ensure equipment and configuration meets CIP regulatory requirements.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Substation Testing and Energizing (50%):
- Work with protection & automation engineers to develop testing plans for complex control systems which ensures substation integration and automation systems provide clear, concise real time operational field information for System Control Center functions.
- Direct checkout of SCADA points and provide technical support to SCADA technicians during commissioning using a variety of vendor equipment including, but not limited to:
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Remote Terminal Units (RTUs)
- Transducers and Meters
- Communication Processors
- Gateway Devices
- Electronic Relays used for power system protection
- Major Equipment (Breaker, Transformer, Bushing etc.) monitoring devices
- Network equipment including Ethernet switches, routers, terminal servers, etc.
- Human Machine Interface programs and Hardware
- Modems, media converters, radios and other communication devices
- Direct checkout of other Automation systems such as Distribution Automation and Interchange Metering.
- Coordinate development of Post-Construction QA checklist.
- Coordinate with outside entities such as:
- PGE System Control Center
- Other interconnected utilities
- Other PGE departments: Generation, Transmission, Distribution, System Control Center, Communications, Project Management, Asset Management.
- Ensure QA activities are well documented and ensure proper document control to meet NERC requirements.
- Support substation electricians during construction activities to minimize the likelihood of misoperations impacting the reliability of the power system.
Substation Operations and Maintenance (30%):
- Develop and monitor a Preventive Maintenance program for SCADA and Smart Grid assets.
- Monitor operational data, including SCADA watchdog alarms, and initiate corrective action.
- Develop and monitor spare parts lists for SCADA and Smart Grid assets.Technical Training (10%):
- Identify training and testing requirements for new and complex control systems.
- Support efforts to deliver technical training to Substation Technicians.
- Support Meter/Relay/SCADA Technicians with design issues and changing technology.Other Responsibilities (10%):
- Plan and perform assignments requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, modification and application of engineering principles, theories and concepts.
- Analyze and prepare technical reports and provide solutions to complex technical matters.
- Provide support to operational personnel for switching and load restoration activities.
- Provide input on control & protection design standards and criteria.
- Maintain a high level of engineering proficiency within the field of specialization and maintain up to date technical knowledge of all current techniques, applicable codes and regulations.
- Support overall project management with scope and budget changes.
- Communicate verbally and in writing with engineers and company management to present and justify automation investments.
- Provide consultation and technical expertise to various PGE departments.
- Communicate with other utilities’ personnel to share information and provide technical expertise.
- Solve integration and automation challenges at various substations where multiple equipment and integration standards are used.
- Keep up with rapidly changing integration and automation technology.
- Keep up with rapidly changing networking, programming and software technology.
- Investigate system construction, maintenance, and operational problems and recommend corrective action.
- Analyze causes and recommend solutions to complex but routine operational maintenance problems.
- Evaluate and resolve technically complex problems, broad problems with numerous variables of uncertain relationship and magnitude.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical field.
- Typically requires 5+ years of experience in industrial automation, utility automation and/or construction management.
- Experience commissioning substation automation or industrial automation equipment is preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of various devices used for industrial control systems (PLC, Transducers, I/O devices)
- Thorough knowledge of various major equipment monitoring devices and associated communication and configuration programs
- Basic understanding of electric utility substation protection and control systems
- Basic familiarity with substation equipment and operating mechanisms
- Thorough ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex logic programming issues, network issues, device malfunction etc.
- Thorough ability to troubleshoot SCADA protocol and SCADA network related issues
- Thorough ability to read schematic and wiring diagrams
- Working ability to validate data collected by the integration systems
- Working ability to develop logic using ladder logic programming and IEC61131-3 standards
- Thorough knowledge of communication and networking standards such as TIA/EIA RS-232 & RS-485, Fiber Optic and Ethernet
- Thorough knowledge of SCADA protocols DNP 3.0, Modbus (Serial and TCP/IP), Modbus Plus, L&G 8979, OPC and ICCP
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networks, subnets and routing and management tools such as SNTP, NTP, PPTP and SNMP
- Working knowledge of Network design (TCI/IP and Modbus Plus) and OSI Layers
- Basic understanding of scripting languages (Java, VB, Python etc.)
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Effective human relations skills
- Thorough analytical and problem solving skills
How to Apply:
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R17-526. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: March 29, 2018