Company Name: Portland General Electric
Job Title: SPEC II, DESIGNER (R17-517)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Miscellaneous Positions
Posting Start Date: November 1, 2017
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 1, 2017
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
SPEC II, DESIGNER (R17-517)
This is an Entry to Mid Level position to provide design expertise and service in a team environment in support of new customer connections (single family, large residential, multi-family, commercial, and industrial) and for transmission and distribution improvements (cut sheet, road widening, feeder, and transmission and distribution line). This position will use the graphics-based facilities management system and design tools at PGE to design, update and maintain the electrical distribution model in the geographic information system (GIS). This position will be expected to complete simple to moderately complex design tasks without assistance and complex design tasks with the assistance and oversight of a Supervisor or Lead. ESRI GIS skills preferred.
- Contribute to continuity of design that meets total project objectives by ensuring that design concepts and details are accurately and clearly conveyed.
- Provide technical design to layout systems and facilities to Engineers and Service & Design Project Managers within the area of expertise of the incumbent.
- Convert designs into detailed construction drawings to guide construction personnel.
- Ensure that designs meet established codes, standards and guidelines.
- Minimize the number of construction conflicts during installation.
- Review and check design drawings for design and drafting accuracy, applying guidelines, established criteria, and experience.
- Update facilities in the GIS system after construction as completed in a timely manner.
- Resolve “as-built” problems and conflicts
- Ensure the electrical distribution model is kept accurate
- Basic knowledge of distribution overhead and underground design standards and materials.
- Working knowledge of drafting application skills.
- Working knowledge of computer workstations, printers and plotters.
- Working knowledge of CAD theory and techniques, with minimum two years CAD experience. (MicroStation V8i & Autocad) or ESRI ArcMap equivalent
- Working knowledge of GIS (ESRI) network model
- Basic knowledge of electrical systems and theory.
- Effective visual conceptualizing, logical reasoning, and problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of surveying information.
- Effective communication and human relation skills (for project coordination).
- Bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information Systems with 2 years of computer assisted drafting experience
- 2 years of utility industry experience and an Associate’s degree in Engineering Technology with an emphasis in Geographic Information Systems or Computer-assisted drafting, design and theory.
- Described at the competent level.
- 2+ years of experience in engineering and design with an electrical utility is preferred
HUMAN RELATION SKILLS
Effective communication and human relation skills in a team environment:
- Engineer, Service & Design Project Managers – Exchange information; interpret field notes and sketches to prepare design and construction drawings and materials list; resolve discrepancies in GIS system; coordinate work as member of local design team.
- General Foreman, Crew Foreman – Exchange information to interpret field notes and resolve discrepancies between crew notations and GIS system.
- Job Processors – Procure administrative information to update GIS database as needed; coordinate work as member of local design team.
- Other Computer Assisted Designers – Provide back-up and support to other design teams as required by business cycles.
- Integrating new designs with existing criteria.
- Mastering complex and evolving information systems for design and facilities management.
- Working under tight project timelines and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously.
- Establishing most economical approach to managing design work.
- Determine design layout consistent with codes and standards while meeting customer and user needs.
- Some work may be required in a construction/operations atmosphere.
- Job may necessitate working extended hours to maintain project timeline or to support forced outages.
How to Apply:
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R17-517. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: December 1, 2017