Company Name: Sacramento Municipal Utility District
Phone Number: (916) 732-4868
Job Title: Senior/Principal EMS Engineer
Number of Openings: 2
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: April 20, 2016
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time Type: Hours
SMUD is searching for a Senior and Principal level EMS engineer to be part of the team that maintains and enhances its current Energy Management System. The system controls the generation, transmission, distribution and gas pipeline operations for SMUD.
These are two separate positions. Please apply at www.smud.org/careers.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- To perform project planning and management for real-time computer-based systems for management and control of the SMUD EMS to ensure safe, reliable and efficient power supply in compliance with policy and governmental regulations.2. To provide engineering support for the SMUD’s EMS for both primary and Backup Control Centers to ensure reliable hardware, software and maintenance services for sustained SMUD power system operation.3. To design and implement complex computer system modifications, enhancements and interfaces to ensure efficient and updated operational needs and support new SMUD power system contracts and generation resource requirements.
4.To evaluate, develop, implement and support specific application programs for new or existing power generation, transmission and distribution systems to support meeting SMUD implementation of next generation resources or inter-utility contractual requirements and safe operating procedures.
5. To ensure network maintenance, security and prevention and resolution of operating problems to maximize reliable operation of the SMUD’s electric system and meet the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Critical Infrastructure Protection requirements .
6. To provide systems expertise, consultation and training to SMUD and other utility users to support proper and cost-effective use of real-time operating computer systems.
7.To provide leadership and participate in assigned tasks of a work unit in order to meet defined unit goals and schedules and comply with SMUD schedule, quality, quantity, safety and performance standards.
8 To ensure assigned work activities successfully contribute to the overall completion of department projects.
9. To ensure continuous, uninterrupted availability of critical real-time power operations and power scheduling for generation, transmission, distribution and gas pipeline functions.
10. To provide recommendations for departmental long-range planning to ensure continued high reliability and availability of real-time systems to support SMUD energy system management.
11. To negotiate and administer contracts for procured materials and services to meet established project budgets, plans and schedules and department and SMUD operational goals.
12. To support the achievement of unit objectives in a fiscally responsible manner
5 or more years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in advanced EMS real-time systems development and operations on an energy management system; management of technically oriented projects; support of generation, gas operations, transmission and distribution operations; inter-utility operations and practices.
7 or more years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in advanced EMS real-time systems development and operations on an energy management system; management of technically oriented project; support of generation, gas operations, transmission and distribution operations; inter-utility operations and practices.
BS degree from an accredited college or university majoring in electrical engineering
Advanced knowledge of electrical engineering and computer science; generation, transmission and distribution system design, operations and procedures at an advanced level; power system contracts; EMS system software and EMS proprietary database administration at an advanced level; real-time EMS applications and programming languages; real time based EMS client/server network and workstation technologies and management; complex technical issues related to the development, implementation and maintenance of energy management systems and applications; software, hardware and telecommunication systems standards for real-time data collection and exchange; procedures and practices for project budget management and accounting; principles and practices of personnel administration; safety policies, practices and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
MS degree from an accredited college or university majoring in electrical engineering
How to Apply:
Please apply at www.smud.org/careers
Posting End Date: May 20, 2016