Company Name: City of Ukiah
Phone Number: (707) 463-6272
Job Title: SENIOR POWER ENGINEER or POWER ENGINEER
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: March 7, 2017
Salary: $87,833.16 – $120,000.20
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time Type: Hours
SENIOR POWER ENGINEER or POWER ENGINEER
(Exempt, Management Position)
Senior Power Engineer $98,725.20 – $120,000.20 annually
Power Engineer $87,833.16 – $106,761.72 annually
- Provide technical assistance to engineering, technical services and field staff as well as customers to identify and solve various problems related to construction, operation and delivery of power.
- Work closely with the Electric Operations Superintendent in the review and evaluation of work methods and procedures.
- Review project plans and drawings with supervisors and other staff as appropriate; recommend changes based on field observations and operational requirements; provide technical advice and assistance on difficult work problems.
- Research and develop material specifications and standards for electric equipment and construction practices.
- Perform system protection and coordination studies and review system protection equipment settings and operations, adjusting as necessary to provide a highly reliable distribution system.
- Complete distribution modeling including underground and overhead distribution systems design, voltage drop/correction, load flow, power factor correction, and system protection.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of and oversee the implementation of local, state, and federal regulatory compliance activities related to area of assignment.
- Assist and support the Electric Operations Superintendent in the development, review and updating of safety training, procedures and standard operating procedures.
- Perform a variety of advanced technical and professional engineering tasks using sound engineering judgment, including project planning, analysis, design, construction management, contract administration; special studies and report preparation for various utility construction projects related to distribution line, metering, substation, and power engineering.
- Assists in the preparation of the capital improvement plans and budget.
- Assists in the preparation of presentations and at times will be required to attend meetings outside of normal business hours.
- Serve as construction manager for various large or technical electric projects, oversee preparation of bid documents, oversee contractor performance and compliance with project plans and specifications; coordinate, schedule and oversee specialty inspections; review and approve payment requests and review technical submittals. Prepare and/or oversee the preparation of project documents including project justifications, budget analyses, preliminary cost estimates, and schedule.
- Prepares reports, presentations, analyses, and estimates for new or modified services and facilities, as well as long range maintenance and capital improvement needs. Justifies and recommends specific proposals and projects. Participates in the preparation of the Capital Improvement Plan and budget of the utility. Prepares the budget recommendations including projecting project costs, staffing needs and anticipated expenditures by fiscal year with detailed breakdowns and justification as assigned.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
Senior Power Engineer (Must perform all duties listed above, in addition)
- Develop and implement division goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and metrics to operate the Electric department using best practices.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development of the Electric Operations work plan; prioritize work activities, projects, and programs; monitor and correct workflow issues.
- Manages the activities and operations of the Engineering division of the Electric Utility Department; develops and implements goals, objectives, policies and procedures to enable the division to meet the business goals of the Department and the City.
- Directs and manages day-to-day operation of the Engineering department and assists in the work load management of the Electrical Department.
- Identifies and implements necessary system expansions/modifications to provide sufficient capacity and quality of power to serve new and existing loads under both normal and emergency conditions.
- Prepares multi-year capital improvement plans and budget.
- Prepares presentations and presents at meetings outside normal business hours. Represent the department to outside agencies and organizations, participate in outside community and professional groups and committees.
- Recommends the assignment of work, provide or coordinate staff training, conduct performance evaluations, implement discipline procedures as required, and maintain high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the Department.
- Manage the operation and maintenance of the 3.5 MW hydroelectric generation plant.
- Principles and practices of electrical engineering as applied to the design and construction of an electrical power transmission and distribution (T&D) system.
- Methods and materials used in the construction, operation, and maintenance of an electrical (T&D) system.
- Safety practices and State and Federal regulations relating to T&D system operation, maintenance and construction.
- Computer applications: MS Office, Computer Aided Drafting and distribution system analysis software.
- Principles and practices of organization, administration, budget, and personnel management.
- Pertinent State, Federal and local rules, regulations and ordinances.
- Properly interpret and make decisions in accordance with Federal and State laws, regulations, and policies.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Perform technical electrical engineering work of a complex nature.
- Review plans and documents for conformance to regulations.
- Develop design drawings for customers and construction teams.
- Gather data and make accurate engineering computations.
- Prepare plans and specifications, neatly and accurately.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Tolerate changes in outside temperature from winter to summer and tolerate dust, pollen, wind and rain.
- Sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Walk on uneven or steep ground.
- Supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff.
- Work flexible hours when required.
Education & Experience
- Both positions require a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in electrical engineering, preferably Power Engineering.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in California or ability to obtain P.E. License in two years required.
- Power Engineer: Three years of increasingly responsible experience in electrical engineering work within the Electrical Utility industry.
- Senior Power Engineer: Five years of increasingly responsible experience in electrical engineering work in the Electric Utility industry. Supervisory experience desirable.
Necessary Special Requirements
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Class C California Driver License.
How to Apply:
Applications are available at the City of Ukiah, 300 Seminary Avenue, Ukiah, CA, (707) 463-6272, or they may be downloaded at www.cityofukiah.com/jobs. Applications will be reviewed by a screening committee and those applicants who appear to be among the best qualified will be selected for the examination process. This process may include a variety of techniques designed to test applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the job. An Eligibility List will be established by ranking candidates by their overall score and a selection will be made from the candidates on this list. All employment offers are subject to a City-paid physical examination and a thorough reference and background check.
Posting End Date: April 7, 2017