Company Name: Cowlitz PUD
Phone Number: (360) 501-9221
Job Title: Senior Engineer
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: February 27, 2017
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Use engineering analysis software to model the District’s Transmission and Distribution systems to facilitate system planning. Prepare engineering reports to summarize and present results.
- Support and provide recommendations for District engineering software and systems. May include but is not limited to software evaluation, software selection, administrator duties, system maintenance, and user support.
- Has responsibility for the District’s compliance programs for specific NERC standards as assigned.
- Evaluate engineering, construction and maintenance procedures.
- Perform engineering and economic studies and make recommendations based on them.
- Prepare long-range plans, including making all necessary studies and presenting the plans to management and Commission members as required.
- Develop engineering procedures and analysis methods.
- Assist other engineering personnel in the establishment, maintenance and use of the engineering records of the District.
- Work with customers to resolve problems associated with quality of electric service.
- Assist the Operations business unit in development of maintenance and construction procedures.
- Develop construction standards and guidelines.
- Coordinate efforts of and consult with architects and consulting engineering firms.
- Assist business units by providing cost estimates, engineering recommendations and other support as may be necessary to apply or recommend changes in District policy.
- Have overall responsibility for projects which may vary from routine to large, complex, or critical. The Senior Engineer may perform all engineering, procurement, budgeting and construction management steps from design through final acceptance of completed work.
- Perform the engineering functions required for procurement of materials, equipment and contractor services. This may include, but is not limited to, specification and bid document preparation, evaluation of bids and contract administration.
- Aid in the professional development of junior engineers and other District personnel.
- Perform the duties of the Manager, System Engineering on a temporary basis if so assigned.
- Check the work of other engineering personnel for technical accuracy, conformance to District policy, conformance to established construction and drafting practices and feasibility of construction and maintenance.
- Represent the District, including preparation of necessary reports or documents, in dealings with governmental bodies or other outside agencies and recommend courses of action to be taken in these dealings.
- Performs tasks as assigned to help the Engineering business unit meet District goals and expectations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrate positive interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other District employees, outside vendors and the general public.
- Ability to work in a multi-task work environment, with interruptions and distractions while maintaining and meeting strict deadlines.
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to gain a working knowledge and proficiency of all software and systems utilized by the Districts Engineering business unit.
- Must be able to learn operating procedures and programs and must be able to interpret, apply and explain all applicable rules and regulations.
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to make independent decisions using sound judgement. Ability to communicate in a professional business-like manner, both orally and in writing. Must understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to operate office equipment to perform expected job duties. Must demonstrate the ability to handle confidential or private information with maturity.
- May require work hours in excess of 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Must wear proper apparel for assigned working conditions in accordance with the District’s dress code policy.
- May require some travel (20%).
- Observe and abide by all District policies, goals and objectives.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time with up to 4 hours of consecutive computer work.
- Must be able to exchange phone conversations with office background noise.
- Must be able to position self to move up to 30 lbs.
- Must be capable of driving vehicles safely in all road conditions.
- Physically able to traverse moderate terrain in all weather conditions.
- Required to have a mobile phone to assure accessibility for emergency call out.
- Must be able to pass post offer background check.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license and be able to drive safely in all weather/road conditions.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. It is intended as a general guide of the duties and tasks we may ask you to perform as part of your employment with us. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of your duties or responsibilities with us. Job descriptions are a dynamic living document that changes as business needs change. We may elect to clarify, change or even add to this job description and your list of assigned duties in the future. We operate as a team and from time to time you may be asked to perform tasks that you may have observed other people doing. Performing all tasks that may be asked or assigned to do is an important part of being a team member and a key expectation for your position.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- A Bachelor level degree in Electrical Engineering with a minimum of ten (10) years progressive experience in working in an engineering field with project management experience and minimum of five (5) years modeling and system planning experience. Preference will be given to applicant with experience working with Bonneville Power Adiministration and or Northwest transmission planning issues.
- A current Professional Engineer’s License is required. Must be registered in Washington State within 6 months.
How to Apply:
Cowlitz PUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. This recruitment will remain open until Friday, March 24, 2017. To apply for this position you must complete the District’s application, which can be found at www.cowlitzpud.org, and provide a cover letter, resume and answers to the supplemental questions. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Posting End Date: March 24, 2017