Every day at SMUD, we deliver power to more than 1.4 million customers throughout the Sacramento area. As a community-owned, not-for-profit electric service, we have been providing low-cost, reliable electricity for over 70 years.
We are a recognized industry leader and award winner for our innovative energy efficiency programs, renewable power technologies, and for our sustainable solutions for a healthier environment. Through the efforts of the 2,200 people that power us, we work 24/7 to keep the lights on and provide our customers with innovative energy solutions.
We’re one of the region’s largest employers, with a reputation for attracting, developing and retaining some of the most talented employees around.
An Electrician does skilled mechanical and electrical work in and about electric substations, underground systems, and power generating plants.
Competitive Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
Retirement through Public Employees Retirement System
457 and 401(k) plans available
Flexible Savings Account
Short and Long Term Disability
Employee and Spouse Life Insurance
Major Duties & Responsibilities :
New Construction/Installation of Equipment
- Installs steel structures, insulators, and bus; installs high voltage switches, disconnects, and fuses.
- Installs, splices, and terminates high-voltage cables; installs high voltage transformers and circuit breakers; installs conduit, wireways, raceway, fittings, wiring, cabling, conductors, and circuits.
- Installs underground service conduit, cables, and ground grids; installs equipment, switchgear, motor control centers, motor operated valves, and pressurized systems; installs and maintains batteries and related equipment.
- Operates equipment such as boom and bucket trucks, forklifts, aerial equipment, cranes, and uses rigging and lifting techniques to install large equipment.
- Reads and interprets mechanical drawings, diagrams, and instructions such as layout and erection diagrams, structural elevations, exploded views, cutaway diagrams, and related information.
- Reads and interprets electrical drawings and diagrams such as wiring diagrams and schedules, schematic and elementary diagrams, one lines, and related information.
- Follows processes and procedures for oil handling/testing during installation of large oil filled electrical equipment.
- Installs Microprocessor Relay panels and Protection Schemes for Line, Bus, Generator, and Transformer protection.
- Installs RTU and SCADA equipment and PLC’s.
Maintenance and Testing
- Maintains, tests, troubleshoots and repairs power transformers and auxiliary equipment such as bushings, surge arrestors, cooling equipment, and tap changers.
- Maintains, tests, troubleshoots, and repairs power circuit breakers and operating mechanisms including hydraulic, pneumatic, solenoid operated and other stored energy systems.
- Maintains, tests, troubleshoots, and repairs motors and motor control equipment; maintains, tests, troubleshoots, and repairs control circuits.
- Reads and interprets mechanical and electrical drawings and diagrams.
- Follows safety procedures when performing clearance, switching, verification, grounding, and working on or around high voltage systems.
Use of Equipment and Tools
- Tests storage batteries; uses hand tools and small power tools such as drills, grinders, sanders, saws, and cutters.
- Uses bucket and boom trucks, forklifts, and aerial equipment.
- Climbs ladders and steel structures; uses fall protection equipment for working at heights.
- Uses electrical test equipment such as voltmeters, ammeters, ohmmeters, DC insulation resistance testers, transformer turns ratio testers, AC and DC high potential test sets, and circuit breaker testers.
Education and Experience:
Journey level in the installation, connection, and maintenance of electrical equipment in high voltage transmission and distribution substations, switchyards and large power generating plants. Basic computer and key boarding skills.
- Completion of a 4 year Substation Electrician Apprenticeship Program or equivalent.
- At least 2 years’ experience at the Journey Substation Electrician level with demonstrated experience in maintaining, testing, troubleshooting and repairing distribution and transmission substation equipment.
- Proficiency in using computers to run test equipment software applications (examples include Doble and Vanguard).
Sacramento Municipal Utility District (SMUD) - Who We Are
As the nation's sixth-largest community-owned electric service provider, we're proud of our reputation as one of the best places to work in Sacramento. Our employees tell us in our engagement surveys they're "Happy, satisfied and engaged" which helps create a workplace that best serves our customers.
Sacramento was named as the 2nd happiest place to work in America by Forbes Magazine. Lake Tahoe, San Francisco and the world-renowned Napa Valley are within easy driving distance of our locations.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
SMUD respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. Diversity and inclusion are guiding principles to deliver a culture that reflects the broader values of the community and our customers. Our Board's policy for Employee Relation sets our commitment to developing and maintaining a high quality, inclusive workplace that engages and inspires employees to commit to SMUD's purpose, vision and values.
Why Sacramento, California?
The capitol of California, Sacramento is the state's sixth-largest city, and the 35th largest in the U.S. Local universities include California State University, University of the Pacific's McGeorge School of Law, and the University of California, Davis and several competitive community colleges. The UC Davis Medical Center, a world-renowned research hospital, is one of more than a dozen hospitals and shared services centers in the Sacramento region. Part of the agriculturally-rich Central Valley, Sacramento is at the forefront of the farm-to-fork food movement. Northern California is home to some of the country's top technology companies, including Google and LinkedIn, and a multitude of startups in many industries. Sacramento is home to the NBA Kings, the River Cats (AAA baseball), the Republic FC (soccer) and the San Francisco Giants, NBA Warriors and NFL 49er's aren't far away. Sacramento offers an affluent liberal arts community with Broadway, Mondavi Center, Crocker Museum and summer musical theater to name a few.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.brassring.com.