Company Name: Portland General Electric
Phone Number: (503) 464-7250
Job Title: Protection Testing and Energization Engineer II/III (R17-425)
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: August 10, 2018
Salary Per: Per Week
Work Time: 5
Work Time Type: Days
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open Until Filled
For over 125 years, Portland General Electric has proudly served Oregon. Our dedication to helping customers is matched by our commitment to providing PGE employees with a diverse array of rewarding career opportunities. Diversity and community are at the heart of what we do for our customers and for each other. We are committed to a team that looks like the Oregon community that we know and love.
PGE team members are creative problem solvers who love to apply themselves to challenges, big and small. We are looking for team members who will grow their skills, their career and their future with us.
Protection Testing and Energization Engineer II/III R17-425
Plan, coordinate, and execute large scale substation QA and testing activities to verify functionality of protection and control schemes. Develop substation protection functional test plans and support testing and construction crews with implementation. Document and communicate commissioning and testing activities with all affected PGE departments.
You will support our journey by:
Substation Testing and Energizing (60%):
- Work with protection & automation engineers to develop test plans for complex protection and control systems which:
- Identify physical safety barriers
- Identify electronic safety barriers
- Verify relay performance and characteristics based on power system simulations
- Identify interconnected protection and control systems to be tested
- Identify best testing practices to reduce system risk
- Efficiently check schemes by eliminating duplications while ensuring compliance to WECC standards
- Coordinate development of Post Construction QA checklist.
- Coordinate with outside entities such as:
- PGE System Control Center
- Other interconnected utilities
- Major customers through Key Customer Managers
- Other PGE departments: Generation, Transmission, Distribution, System Control Center, Communications, Project Management, Asset Management
- Ensure QA activities are well documented and ensure proper document control to meet NERC reliability audit requirements
Technical Training (10%):
- Identify training and testing requirements for new and complex protection and control systems
- Lead and execute technical training for Substation Meter/Relay Technicians
- Support efforts to deliver technical training to Substation Wiremen and Operators
- Support Meter/Relay/SCADA Technicians with design issues and changing technology
Other Responsibilities (20%):
- Ensure that protection systems function properly to meet system requirements
- Plan and perform assignments requiring judgment in the independent evaluation, selection, modification and application of engineering principles, theories and concepts
- Analyze and prepare technical reports and provide solutions to complex technical matters
- Provide support to operational personnel for switching and load restoration activities
- Support creation and upkeep of substation protection design standards and settings criteria
- Maintain a high level of engineering proficiency within the field of specialization and maintain up to date technical knowledge of all current techniques, applicable codes and regulations
- Provide review and documentation to establish compliance with NERC and WECC reliability standards
Generation Plant Switchyard and Substation Construction (10%):
- Partner with Resource Coordinator to develop high level coordinated construction schedules with major outage requirements
Support construction crews on design and construction issues:
- Constructability reviews
- Design philosophy
- Design additions or changes during construction
- Equipment integration
- Support overall Project management with scope and budget changes
- Work with Substation Engineering and System Protection & Automation to ensure that project protective schemes meet system requirements
You will bring the following skills to our team:
- Typically requires a B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering and a Professional Engineer License
- Typically requires 8 years of experience in engineering, design and system testing for utility systems and/or generation
- Experience with substation relay functions
- Effective oral and written communications skills, including public speaking
- Proficiency in problem solving and analysis
- Skill and knowledge of electrical utility infrastructure construction and testing practices
- Effective at building professional interdepartmental relationships
- Experience commissioning substation protection equipment is preferred
PHYSICAL/MENTAL ABILITIES AND PROCESSES (what reasoning and decision-making activities are involved in performing job)
- Substantial decision making
- Very substantial reasoning and prioritizing
- Deal effectively with pressure of real-time problem solving.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle
- Possess the physical ability to spend time in non-office environments, accessing installed equipment (substations, plants, facilities) and performing required duties at these locations in all weather conditions.
How to Apply:
Join us today and power your potential!
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the deadline: https://PGN.igreentree.com/CSS_External/CSSPage_Referred.ASP?Req=R17-425. If you have any questions, please feel free to call us at 503-464-7250.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL / EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Posting End Date: September 8, 2018