Company Name: Brown & Kysar, Inc.
Phone Number: (360) 687-3966
City: Battle Ground
Job Title: Protection and Controls Lead
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: May 8, 2017
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time Type: Hours
The Protection & Controls Lead will be primarily responsible for overseeing the development, quality control, deadline adherence, and programming of protection and control schemes for public utilities while directing assigned staff for those projects. There is also the potential of upward mobility as opportunities arise.
This position will support the Director of Design in leading, managing and assuring performance of the Design team. The Protection & Controls Lead will supervise/mentor 2+ design employees.
Assist in leading a team to effectively “get the work done” and manage projects to ensure production of quality work on schedule. Related activities include:
- Develop control schemes including relay schematics, wiring diagrams, SCADA layouts, etc. for substations, distribution, and some transmission.
- Develop protection settings and studies with equipment from Schweitzer Engineering Lab (SEL), Cooper, Siemens, S&C, etc.
- Oversee commissioning and testing of protection and control schemes.
- Oversee or perform modeling for utility development, coordination, balancing, automated restoration, voltage control demand response, etc.
- Oversee or perform control setting for coordinated regulators, LTCs, capacitors etc.
- Troubleshoot coordination problems and power quality concerns.
- Assist clients with answering day-to-day engineering questions.
- Assist public utilities in developing best practices and operational directions.
- Stamp and approve all calculations and judgements that will be given to a client in the defined areas of expertise and fill in other areas as experience allows for applicable state(s).
- Assist clients in the restoration of system outages and manage communication for emergencies.
- Find solutions for power quality concerns with a thorough knowledge of common problems and good troubleshooting techniques.
- Identify, develop and implement best practices, processes and procedures to achieve efficient, effective, and consistent protection and control schemes and strategies.
- Assist or oversee assisting clients with the development of standards and specifications in protection and controls.
- Develop and implement the appropriate progression planning and training programs to ensure product quality and individual employee growth.
- Lead, manage and hold direct reports accountable.
- Review and approve all estimates for proposed work in the areas of protection and controls.
- Establish schedules to complete assigned work within the allotted schedule and within the hours budgeted for the project.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or related discipline with a PE license in Washington, Oregon, and Nevada or the ability to obtain that license by submitting the proper information through NCEES.
- Extensive knowledge of the power system functionality for distribution and transmission, operations and maintenance of protection controls, SCADA development, AMI and OMS systems.
- Minimum of seven (7) years working with electric utilities in an engineering capacity.
- Minimum of two (2) years leading and managing projects and teams for design and implementation of protection and control schemes.
- A keen desire to stay abreast of developing technology and trends in system protection and controls and developing the application for public utilities.
- Excellent mentoring skills, willing to jump in and teach less experience engineers, and to do the work.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to Eddie Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 360-687-3966.
Posting End Date: May 31, 2017