TO APPLY, GO TO: www.smud.org/careers
To direct and lead projects of a significant and complex nature where an expert level of technical knowledge and expertise is required to design distribution and transmission facilities including the development of design standards, work methods and procedures, training programs, and the development and revision of District policy, rates, rules, regulations and programs to ensure compliance with District and all other relevant safety and engineering codes, laws and regulations.
*Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Addresses and resolves issues with significant ramifications to distribution services and SMUD; directs and leads utility system projects such as power generation projects, substation projects, transmission, and distribution projects of a very large, complex, difficult, standard, or non-standard nature by planning, directing, coordinating, and overseeing project design, analysis, study, construction, and equipment installation; by directing, preparing, and/or overseeing the preparation of standards, layout, and construction drawings, equipment specifications, and design procedures; by preparing, or directing, overseeing, and reporting the results of load forecasts and analyses, system expansion studies, and other power system studies, analyses, and calculations; and by reviewing and/or developing project schedules and budgets.
- Contributes to the establishment of general operating procedures, guidelines, and operating manuals for system facilities including substations, transmission and distribution, and power generation by formulating, preparing, or overseeing the preparation of those procedures and documents and making recommendations to appropriate SMUD authority; ensures that operating procedures, guidelines, and operating manuals are current and effective.
- Ensures that SMUD is represented in technical discussions with city, county, state, and federal regulatory agencies and in professional organizations developing industry guidelines and standards for electrical safety, distribution design, and/or materials manufacture and application; provides technical representation and guidance to various civil regulatory agencies in matters affecting SMUD policies, programs, and practices related to distribution and transmission design; prepares or directs and oversees the preparation of necessary reports to regulatory agencies; provides information and expertise for the development of industry guidelines and design and application standards to technical and professional engineering committees such as ANSI, IEEE, and regulatory commissions.
- Contributes to safe construction and operation of SMUD facilities; reviews SMUD safety practices and history and recommends changes to facility design and construction; ensures adherence to applicable codes and regulations.
- Performs technical and economic analysis of projected revisions to SMUD rates, rules, regulations, and billing practices.
- Develops equipment specifications and related costs for special facilities agreements for large and critical customers with unique service requirements.
- Reviews contracted and in-house designs for reliability, stability, utility, quality, safety, cost effectiveness, operability, and maintainability.
- Presents work progress reports, unique design proposals, and significant change proposals to SMUD executives and the Board of Directors.
- Audits completed sub-station design work and customer satisfaction with it.
- Provides leadership and participates in assigned tasks of a work unit in order to meet defined unit goals and schedules and comply with SMUD schedule, quality, quantity, safety, and performance standards; plans, coordinates, prioritizes, monitors, and guides work activities with work-unit employees to meet established task objectives and deadlines by following established policies and precedents; communicates with team members and incorporates their input into processes and techniques; provides staff training; promotes staff safety and a safe work environment; assists in selecting and orienting new personnel; assists in evaluating work performance results; participates as a team member in accomplishing objectives; refers problems to supervisory staff when solutions are not readily achievable.
- Assists in administering the department budget; participates in planning, monitoring, and revising schedules, work plans, expenditures, and assignments to support the achievement of unit objectives.
Knowledge of: Principles, procedures, and practices related to distribution overhead and underground line design including statics, strength of materials, sag and tension, pulling tensions, and related items; specialized equipment including distribution line and transmission/distribution sub-station equipment and materials; principles, procedures, and practices related to the design basis for distribution line, distribution and transmission sub-station design elements, components, and hardware; principles, procedures, and practices related to electrical power engineering including circuit analysis, electrical equipment design, short circuit calculations, grounding, protective relaying, and power system analysis; federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations governing safety standards, codes, and utility practices utilized in the design of distribution system lines including transmission sub-stations; principles, procedures, and practices related to the manufacturing processes of electrical equipment and components including welding, rubber/fiberglass/plastic extruding, metal fabrication, and assembly; applicable industry standards such as ANSI, IEEE, NEMA, ICEA, ASTM, ISO 9000, ISO 9001 and ISO 9002.
Skill to: Develop new and revised policies and procedures to provide for the effective operation of the unit; interact with others to influence and motivate; interpret policies, procedures, applicable MOUs and/or other special agreements; oversee adherence to safety policies and procedures; plan, oversee, and review the work of others; provide input to performance evaluations for the work of others; compile and prepare technical, statistical, and/or analytical reports and presentations; develop and conduct oral presentations to internal/external audiences; reconcile significant and/or controversial differences to bring interested parties to consensus; evaluate and resolve complex technical or management issues; monitor and manage projects; negotiate with internal and external management on projects; plan, organize, prioritize, and schedule projects; analyze complex issues and develop/implement resolution alternatives; analyze situations, documents, and data for conformance to established policy and procedures; apply applicable laws, codes, and regulations; identify the key elements that must be modified to achieve a goal; interpret, analyze, and apply pertinent policies, procedures, regulations, and requirements; interpret, clarify, understand, and analyze verbal/written information and ideas; organize highly complex and conflicting data in a readily understandable manner for various audiences; prepare a business case to weigh the relative costs and benefits of a potential action.