Company Name: Peninsula Light Company
Phone Number: (253) 857-1504
City: Gig Harbor
Job Title: Power Utility System Dispatcher
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: September 29, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Peninsula Light Company, a mutual co-op power utility, is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Power Utility System Dispatcher. This is position performs dispatching functions involved with construction and maintenance routines of electrical equipment and daily activities for a mutual co-op power utility company. Individuals assigned to this position shall provide guidance and dispatch to Journeyman Lineman and other field personnel in a safe and efficient manner to restore and maintain power to the co-op members. This position shall have reporting responsibilities to both the Operations Superintendent and the Engineering Manager. Salary $47.49 per hour. PenLight offers a generous benefit package and retirement plans. Excellent community location in lovely Gig Harbor, WA.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ensures dispatching functions are performed in accordance with company and governmental operational and safety procedures and that work is in compliance with specifications and engineering plans.
- Responsible for writing or reviewing switching orders, issuing clearances and writing system dispatch procedures.
- Monitor and maintain established load and balancing limits during load shifting and switching of the transmission and distribution system.
- Responsible for dispatching duties including emergency conditions.
- Responsible for maintaining databases in working order and for graphics accuracy and functionality for SCADA system, in conjunction with the Operations Superintendent and Chief Engineer.
- Monitors and enforces safe work practices and ensures compliance with Washington State Electrical Safety Codes and company safety policies. Participates in safety meetings.
- Works with customers to resolve customer questions and complaints. Provides restoration information for customers.
- Primary liaison with Tacoma Transmission Dispatching.
- Maintains updated system dispatch board and collects and tracks updates to company maps and documents to maintain accurate mapping of the system.
- Participates in scheduled planning meetings with the Operations Superintendent and Chief Engineer to review current projects, problems and establish realistic work priorities that will improve customer service reliability and system performance.
- Works with engineering on systems and equipment planning for proper documentation,
including the posting of temporary system changes.
- Completes and/or ensures that required reports and records are compiled and appropriately maintained for adherence to applicable company policy and procedures.
- Monitors crew location via radio and GPS tracking.
- Maintains familiarity with substations and significant switching locations.
- Assists Operations Superintendent in scheduling PLC crews and contractors as requested.
- Routinely reviews system outages for accuracy of data and to recommend reliability improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of substations, protective systems and related system support technology, and ability to assist with system coordination and planning.
- Thorough knowledge of the transmission and distribution systems utilized by the company.
- Knowledge of practices, methods, tools, materials and equipment used in the transmission and distribution of electrical power.
- Demonstrated skill and ability to lead, direct, coordinate, communicate and plan daily activities of subordinates or support personnel.
- Ability to assist in annual department budget development.
- Ability to work closely with supervisory personnel as well as field personnel.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise discretionary judgment: deal tactfully with contractors when applicable to fulfill operation needs.
- Strong working knowledge of computer control systems, operating systems and MS Office software programs.
- Ability to interpret and understand utility mapping symbiology.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies, procedures, occupational hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to maintain interpersonal skills, including tact, patience and courtesy with customers and co-workers.
- Ability to courteously and effectively deal with customer complaints and service questions or problems.
- Thorough knowledge of Washington State Electrical Worker’s Safety Rules (WAC- 296-45).
WORKING CONDITIONS/ PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is performed in an office setting and on occasion at field site locations under all weather conditions. During system emergencies, the individual is required to work extended out-of-routine hours.
High School diploma (or G.E.D) plus 4 years of journey-level experience as a wireman, lineman or electrical utility dispatcher required. Strong working knowledge of computer systems required. The individual must have detailed knowledge of utility electrical systems or have completed an approved electrical apprenticeship program. The person in this position must be willing and available to respond to emergency call-outs at any off-duty time. This position requires a clear, understandable voice; a valid Driver’s License, CPR certification and First Aid Card.
How to Apply:
- Visit penlight.org/jobs
- Click “View Job Opportunities”
- Select desired job title
- Create an online profile and complete application
Posting End Date: October 29, 2016