Company Name: Pend Oreille County PUD
Phone Number: (509) 447-9095
Job Title: Power Supply (Hydro) Operator
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Power Supply
Posting Start Date: July 26, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 5
Work Time Type: Days
The purpose of this journeyman level position is to safely perform operational duties related to District powerhouse, dam, pumping and waterway equipment, enabling the highest possible level of generation production, equipment reliability/performance, and personnel safety. The incumbent will perform such duties as they relate to the following equipment: turbines, governors, generators, pumps, motors, heavy and light mobile equipment, air compressors, HVAC equipment, dam structural equipment (including spillway gates, hoists and cranes). The position incumbent will work with other Plant and District personnel. The incumbent will also work independently to complete specifics tasks and other work assignments.
The incumbent will be required to have extensive experience in the operation of production/generation equipment and systems. The position is governed at all times by current work practices and procedures as established and modified by the District, and assumes responsibility for completion of tasks in a manner that will ensure the safety of both the incumbent and others.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND AUTHORITIES
- Starts, stops, synchronizes and adjusts voltage, load and power factor of District turbine/generator units and auxiliary equipment.
- Operates and monitors plant electrical systems.
- Maintains specified dam flows and water levels.
- Reads and records instrument data. Accurately computes water flows. Prepares operating reports and maintains station records.
- Operates and controls low, medium, and high voltage switchgear. This may require the use of hot sticks, insulated gloves, and other safety equipment as required by industry practice and regulation WAC 45. Operates and switches distribution voltage switchgear under the direction of dispatch personnel.
- Operates heavy lifting equipment, including operation of 100 ton gantry crane for the lifting and adjustment of spillway gates at Box Canyon Dam.
- Performs structural and equipment inspections of Box Canyon Dam, power plant and switch yard in order to detect failure or impending failure of structures or equipment. Detection of any abnormality requires the taking of remedial action where possible and proper recording and reporting to responsible individuals.
- Works with maintenance personnel to establish clearance requirements. Certifies and issues clearances and receives clearance releases for authorized work on equipment within realm of responsibility. Performs required switching and tagging to safely secure equipment for maintenance.
- Keeps a clear, concise and accurate log of activities during assigned shift to insure that matters of importance are properly conveyed to operators on subsequent shifts.
- Maintains security of facilities and equipment through observation, use of available surveillance equipment and the proper locking of entry points.
- Exercises tact, courtesy and diplomacy when interacting with the public in order to affect and maintain a good public image for the District at all times.
- Requires thorough understanding of Production Lockout Tagout (LOTO) program and distribution clearance program. Will be required to administer LOTO program for Production facilities to safely remove equipment from service for maintenance purposes. Will also be required to operate and clear distribution equipment for the safe switching of equipment for line operations.
- Operates radio, computer and telephone equipment for the purpose of receiving, sending or relaying information pertinent to maintaining effective operational and maintenance communications within the District.
- When serving as relief operator, will fill vacated shifts created by other operators personal leave. Will conduct inspections and/or review operations at reservoirs, pumping plants, generating stations, distribution substations and at other District river sites and (or specific equipment) as directed. When so assigned, will maintain communications with the shift operator at Box Canyon keeping him/her informed of itinerary and change of status of equipment, etc. When assigned the Calispell Power Plant, will start/stop, synchronize, adjust voltage, change jets, open or close needle valves, gate valves, etc., as necessary to assure maximum use of available water from Power Lake. Will clean equipment and powerhouse, wiping up excess oil, etc. Will add oil as necessary and grease appropriate fittings. Will check Power Lake water level and record it as well as other appropriate data in station log and appropriate record form.
- Trains or assists in the training of apprentice operators by providing guidance and instruction in all aspects of the operator program.
- Responsible for maintaining positive, cooperative and professional relationships with all District personnel.
- Assists in the preparation of written standard operating procedures.
- Performs alone during many shifts and assignments. Must act autonomously, and make decisions in accordance with District policies and procedures. During many working hours, is solely responsible for the operation of District assets, including Box Canyon Dam.
- Responsible for supervisions of apprentice operators when working on the same shift.
- Under the requirements of WAC 45, responsible for the safety of personnel working under clearances issued by journey hydro operator.
- May perform other duties for which the employee is qualified and can be performed safely (alone or under the direct supervision of a qualified and trained individual).
- A high school diploma or GED is required
- Vocational/apprenticeship training resulting in journeyman level operator skills that allow the incumbent to fully perform the responsibilities, essential duties and authorities described above.
- A minimum of five (5) years of practical experience as a journeyman level operator in a hydroelectric or similar generation/production facility.
- A minimum of two (2) years experience in the operation of heavy equipment.
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to correctly use appropriate safety practices in a utility setting, including (but not limited to): Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO), confined space entry, first aid/cardio pulmonary resuscitation, including Automated External Defibrillator (AED), etc.
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) and all applicable Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) and Washington Industrial Safety and Health Act (WISHA) regulations.
- Ability to apply logical thinking to diagnose and solve practical problems without supervision, and to comprehend and effectively carry out instructions.
- Ability to mathematically add, subtract, multiply, and divide; work with decimals and fractions; and understand and calculate measurements.
- Ability to read, analyze and comprehend relevant instruction manuals, construction drawings, electrical diagrams, blueprints, schematics, and maps in connection with the essential duties of the position.
- Ability to properly prepare required forms and reports.
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing.
- Ability to receive guidance and supervision, follow work rules, safety practices, work procedures, meet punctuality and attendance standards, and complete assignments in an appropriate time period.
- All performance standards must be completed in a competent manner.
How to Apply:
An employment application are available at www.popud.org. Please complete the online application, including a resume, cover letter. If preferred, you can email an application, along with a resume and cover letter, to: firstname.lastname@example.org; or, mail application materials to P.O. Box 190, Newport WA 99156 Attn: Human Resources. Position is open until filled. Starting rate of pay $41.79. This position is within the IBEW 77 Bargaining Unit.
Should you have any questions about the position or the application process, please contact Lloyd Clark (HR Manager) at email@example.com
The District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Posting End Date: August 26, 2016