Website Portland General Electric
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Associate Design Project Manager
In this role, you will help PGE residential, commercial, and industrial customers with their new or expanded electrical service. As an Associate Design Project Manager, you will work with homeowners, builders, architect engineering firms, municipalities, and others to create a design that will extend our electrical system to their new facility or new load. When the design is created, you will project manage it through construction and completion. The successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced design and construction environment while providing the customer a great experience and guiding them through the process. You will enjoy the creativity and technical aspects of the job and helping the customers get their new service energized.
Title: Associate Design Project Manager
Position Code 6890 Grade 6
Career Level: P2 Intermediate Professional
- Manages multiple projects of moderate complexity (e.g., streetlighting, commercial, system maintenance, budgeted projects and large road widening) of varying size and at varying steps within the project process;
- Delivers project results that provide timely, effective, reliable and workable construction designs and customer connections.
- Conducts complex technical analyses and prepares complete designs using current design technology resources, including design software, drawings, material lists, design specifications, material specifications, corporate accounting, cost estimates, easements, permits, service requirements and line-extension agreements.
- Responsible for design decisions that reflect a cost-effective, reliable, safe, constructible/maintainable transmission and distribution system.
- Accountable for ensuring all steps of the project process are completed, considering timeliness and responsiveness to internal or external customers; effectively prioritizes and balances multiple tasks and projects to meet customer expectations; interprets and coordinates work with other PGE departments to fulfill project requirements; works independently and may mentor other project team members.
- Fulfills project requirements consistent with company tariff, design standards, NESC requirements and applicable codes.
Serves as the primary point of contact on all assigned projects from first contact to final closing; consults with customers to identify requirements and translates them into design and service connection solutions consistent with tariff, company standards, requirements and applicable codes.
Leadership and Consultation:
Responds to questions from other team members and stakeholders; may provide information or training to newer team members.
Education: Requires a bachelor’s degree in engineering technology, computer-assisted design or other related field or equivalent experience.
Experience: Typically three or more years in utility operations or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Working knowledge and application of all company standards and tariffs, company policy, applicable codes and local jurisdiction requirements.
- Working knowledge of common engineering concepts and principles. Intermediate knowledge of PGE’s electrical system.
- Intermediate knowledge of transmission and distribution standards and practices.
Intermediate knowledge of the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electrical Code (NEC).
- Working skills in using computer design tools, including structural analysis, electric analysis, work management and GIS.
- Intermediate ability to apply engineering and design concepts, PGE and industry standards and governing codes.
- Working ability to use project management concepts and skills in planning and executing projects.
- Working ability to effectively plan, organize, design, coordinate and manage multiple projects with changing timelines at different stages of the connection process.
- Working ability to work collaboratively in a teamwork environment with internal customers.
- Intermediate analytical thinking skills.
- Basic business acumen.
- Working creativity and innovation skills.
- Intermediate decision-making skills. Intermediate focus on customer skills.
- Working interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of the utility industry.
- Intermediate problem-solving skills.
- Intermediate written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to adhere to set response times, deadlines and time-sensitive tasks
- Ability to follow accuracy standards
- Ability to follow through on decision-making tasks
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively within a team environment
- Ability to communicate and problem solve when under stress
- Ability to respond and adapt to frequent change
- Ability to accept and demonstrate self-awareness when provided constructive feedback
- Ability to discern feedback and acknowledge ownership of areas of improvement
- Ability to avoid future mistakes by applying reasonable skills to new but similar work situations or tasks
- Ability to successfully collaborate with peers, managers and others within the organization
- Demonstrates sound memory
- Ability to process new information to be applied consistently to work tasks
- Ability to work long hours
- Ability to work a variable schedule
- Ability to report to work and perform work during periods of severe inclement weather
- Ability to consistently meet attendance standards for regular, reliable, predictable, full-time attendance.
- This position requires a driver’s license and a history of safe driving practices.
- Daily driving/travel/commute within service territory
- Computer use (use computer regularly for entire work shift)
- Lifting/pushing/pulling: Up to 10 lbs.
- Carrying: Up to 10 lbs.
- Unstable surfaces requiring balance (i.e., moving equipment, boats) (check all that apply):Confined spaces
- Walking distances and surfaces (long distances and over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces)
Stairs (over 10 steps)
- Ladders (over 10 rungs)
Environment – Indoor/Outdoor: Office, Field
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
To apply for this job please visit portlandgeneral.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.