Company Name: NW Natural
Phone Number: (503) 226-4211
Job Title: Plant Operator
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: April 30, 2018
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time Type: Hours
Storage Plant Mist-Miller Station; Mist, OR 97016
Posting # 50261252
April 27, 2018
At NW Natural, we like to say, “We grew up here.” We’ve been an energy supplier and community leader since 1859. Some of our neighbors know us through our philanthropy and volunteer programs and innovative approaches to carbon reduction. Our customers know us because of the clean, safe, efficient, and low-cost natural gas we provide. We are a service-oriented utility, with a “Best in the West” customer satisfaction ranking.
If you share our core values – integrity, safety, service ethic, caring and environmental stewardship – we invite you to apply to NW Natural.
Operates and maintains a gas storage plant.
Day to Day:
- Operates systems, equipment, and/or instrumentation required to move gas in and out of storage.
- Reads and interprets information pertaining to plant operations.
- Monitors all plant operation.
- Diagnoses problems, troubleshoots, and makes adjustments.
- Maintains plant equipment. Assists with major repairs and overhauls.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Accurately maintains records and logs.
- Maintains plant’s physical appearance.
- Trains, assists, and provides feedback to less-experienced workers at the direction of supervisor, which may include providing feedback to supervisor on progress of training.
- Performs other tasks as required, including those in lower levels, and in General Task Bar #2 as identified in the Job Description JAG, with training as needed.
- Appropriately wears required protective equipment and safety gear.
- Operates Company vehicles in compliance with state/local laws and Company policies and procedures.
- Acquires and maintains OQ qualifications.
- May require Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) certification.
- Acts and communicates in a professional, respectful, and cooperative manner in connection with all activities associated with NW Natural.
- Follows supervisory instructions and is flexible and adaptable to changing conditions and expectations.
- Maintains punctual, regular, and reliable attendance.
- Demonstrates the Company’s core values and complies with all Company policies and procedures.
Come on your first day with:
- Ability to interpret piping and instrument diagrams and apply information from technical manuals.
- Ability to read gas meters and pressure gauges and record information.
- Ability to develop and apply skills in operating computer-based control systems, data-collection equipment, and support instrumentation.
- Basic math and reading skills.
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Company’s organization, inter-relationships, policies, procedures, processes, and department/work specific requirements.
- Ability to interface with employees and customers to answer questions or resolve issues with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to concentrate on tasks, apply procedures in sequence, make decisions with limited information, and work in a structured team environment.
- Ability to diagnose problems and follow through with solutions.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work involving walking, standing, bending, twisting, wrist turning, grasping, lifting, squatting, kneeling, reaching, or assuming awkward postures for 8+ hours.
- Ability to hear normal voice at 3 feet; warning signals/horns during plant operations.
- Near/distant vision for driving and reading information to complete work assignments.
- Moderate/severe exposure to uneven surfaces, noise, vibration, high-speed rotating machinery, and odorant inhalation.
- Manual dexterity adequate to effectively use basic hand tools including, but not limited to, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.
- Ability to repair, troubleshoot, maintain, modify, and install parts and equipment.
- Ability to do precision work requiring visual acuity, fine motor skills, and concentration.
- Ability to work in adverse weather or terrain conditions.
- Must be able to successfully meet requirements for respirator use.
- Must be able to differentiate color.
- Must be able to smell natural gas (methane).
- Ability to safely operate Company vehicles/equipment and perform inspections and minor maintenance as necessary and in compliance with Company policies and state/local laws.
- Valid OR/WA driver’s license, any required certifications and/or endorsements, and satisfactory driving record.
- Must obtain forklift certification within position qualification period.
- Safe handling of materials at extremely hot/cold temperatures +600°F to -260°F; exposure to high-pressure natural gas piping and process systems.
- Exposure to confined spaces as defined by the Company’s Confined Space Program
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 75 lbs.
- Subject to random drug testing.
- Must be able to report fit and ready for duty when working non-traditional rotating shifts. Schedules are created to allow Operators sufficient off duty time to achieve 8 hours of continuous sleep.
How to Apply:
What we offer:
Arguably the most competitive healthcare and wellness benefits in the Pacific Northwest
Green Team/Diversity & Inclusion Council/Safety Team/Women’s Network
Numerous volunteer and community engagement opportunities
Employee Stock Purchase Plan with a 15% discount
20% Employee discount on Natural Gas
This position will be tested on:
ACT Applied Math Level 5
ACT Applied Tech Level 5
Application Process: To be considered for this position, submit a complete electronic application including a cover letter and a resume.
Applications will be reviewed once application deadline has passed.
Deadline: May 11, 2018
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Posting End Date: May 11, 2018