Website Peninsula Light Company
This position reports directly to Peninsula Light Company’s (PLC) Chief Executive Officer. Working independently and collaboratively with others, this position plays an integral role in executing PLC’s mission, philosophy and commitment to providing safe, reliable electricity/water to our community and exceptional service to our internal and external member/customers.
This position establishes PLC financial/business programs consistent with broad policies and objectives aligned with the Board of Directors and the Chief Executive Officer to include the development of a financial and business strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets.
This position is responsible for supervising the Business/Finance group to include the Controller and staff, as well as, other departments which may be assigned commiserate with qualifications. Incumbent will perform employee performance evaluations, make recommendations as to the hiring, firing, advancement and promotion of staff.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Provide effective direction, planning and oversight of PLC objectives. Identify opportunities for improving business effectiveness to achieve PLC’s goals of reliability and member satisfaction.
2. Direct business/financial activities to effectively manage PLC’s investment and cash portfolios, ensuring they are effective in support of PLC’s financial position. Ensure the accuracy in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) guidelines.
3. Provide effective direction for other departments as assigned. Responsibilities to be determined may include areas relating to legal, marketing, business/member services, technology, information systems, operations, engineering and/or other power utility administration.
4. Establishes financial operational strategies by evaluating trends; establishing critical measurements; determining productivity, quality, and effective strategies; designing systems; accumulating resources; resolving problems; implementing change.
5. Develop financial statistics and economic analysis reports as necessary for reporting to the CEO and Board of Directors. Analyze and measure financial impact of risk to PLC.
6. Develop and coordinate business plans and forecasts; participate in labor/management efforts in the preparation and evaluation of short and long-term business goals.
7. Communicate in a professional, respectful and courteous manner with all employees, the Board of Directors, member/customers and the community. Contribute to a successful workgroup through positive interactions, and through the constructive exchange of ideas designed to meet or exceed the organizations strategic goals.
8. Participate in the recruitment, selection, and retention of department personnel. Monitor, manage direct staff and/or processes to ensure continuous improvement and increased contribution to the company’s success. Hold employees accountable for working safely, consistently, productively and in compliance with PLC’s policies and work rules in pursuit of department and PLC’s goals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Exhibits executive level leadership and business acumen. Has ability to see the big, long-range picture. Is organizationally and politically savvy. Demonstrates a broad breadth of knowledge of organizational development, leadership and management best practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies, goals, strategic plans and operational needs.
2. Demonstrates strong leadership experience in management to include areas of expertise other than strictly financial, i.e. legal, marketing, business/member services, technology, information systems, operations, engineering and/or other power utility administration.
3. Exhibits a strong leadership style that promotes respect, open communication, teamwork, productivity and accountability with integrity. Excellent written, oral and presentation skills. Displays an ongoing commitment to learning and self-improvement.
4. Ability to lead individuals to perform successfully as a team, adapt to rapidly changing and evolving environments that ensure successful outcomes while balancing competing interest in priorities.
5. Ability to manage change in a way that clarifies priorities and embraces technology. Has ability to develop and implement fresh ideas that provide solutions to all types of workplace challenges.
6. Earns others’ trust and respect through consistent honesty and professionalism in all interactions. Maintains composure in highly stressful or adverse situations. Helps create a work environment that nurtures diversity.
7. Ability to plan, prioritize, schedule, organize, track, document, report and evaluate work and job performance of staff to increase productivity, maximize available resources, and ensure that department and business needs and goals are met and/or exceeded.
8. Must exhibit working knowledge of federal, state and local laws, rules, regulations, codes and/or statutes applicable to Peninsula Light Company and its provision of utility services.
9. Exhibits ability to follow fiscal guidelines, regulations, principles, and standards when committing fiscal resources or processing financial transactions.
10. Demonstrate knowledge of best practices for treasury operations including banking, investing, cash management, accounting, risk management and customer service.
11. Is highly proficient at troubleshooting, problem-solving, research, organizational and analytical skills, combined with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet established deadlines.
12. Exhibits advanced understanding and personal skill utilizing information systems and relevant business applications to include MS office, and other business/financial/IS applications.
WORKING CONDITIONS / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is normally performed in an office environment. This position requires proficiency with personal computers, office and business software and operating general office equipment.
Peninsula Light Company conducts background screening of all management personnel and personnel who have substantial authority over Finance, Energy Trading, Procurement, Internal Audit, Information Technology or Compliance activities, to include credit checks in order to meet bonding requirements, verification of work experience and education, references and drug screen.
- Bachelors or better in Business Administration or related field.
- Bachelors or better in Economics or related field.
- Bachelors or better in Finance or related field.
- Masters or better in Business Administration or related field.
- 3-5 years: Executive level, multi-departmental work experience in the electric utility industry is strongly preferred or work experience that demonstrates an advanced understanding of the overall power utility business and related processes.
- 5 years: Extensive strategic leadership in business/financial, operational, or executive administrative management experience to include a combination of positions with executive level responsibility for the financial and business operations of a medium (50-100M) to large scale company (100M+).
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Economics, Business Administration or a Bachelor’s Degree related to the electric utility field is required.
- Master’s in Business Administration, Finance and/or CPA is preferred.
Licenses & Certifications
- Cert Pub Acct
1. Visit our website: www.penlight.org
2. At the top of the page click “Jobs”
3. Click on “View Opportunities”
4. Select “Chief Business Officer”
5. Create a profile and submit an application
Please note: You must submit an application on our website to be considered for this position
To apply for this job please visit recruiting2.ultipro.com.