Company Name: Umatilla Electric Cooperative
Phone Number: (541) 564-4359
Job Title: Operations Superintendent
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: July 26, 2017
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Umatilla Electric Cooperative (UEC) is a progressive Electric Utility Cooperative located in Hermiston Oregon serving over 14,000 accounts with 80 employees. UEC is seeking a full-time Financial Operations Superintendent to be located at the utility office in Hermiston Oregon.
UEC offers a 4-day work week, a competitive wage and benefits package and the salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications.
The operations Superintendent position plans and directs the system maintenance and service activities, including managing maintenance related contractors. This position activity promotes a culture of safety and assures safety standards are adhered to. The position coordinates with management, operations, construction personnel and UEC contractors to plan, implement and manage the rights-of-way inspection and maintenance activities consistent with UEC standards and policies. This position will work closely with the Construction Superintendent to assure clear communications and effective team work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Promotes and encourages a safe work environment. Performs work in a safe manner in conformance with all applicable regulations. Promptly reports on-the-job accidents to the Operations Manager and Safety coordinator. Participates in accident investigations and contributes to lessons learned and abatement recommendations.
- Develops a plan and oversees implementation of ongoing inspections of substations, poles and lines, metering, and relaying equipment for UEC and Hermiston Energy Services (HES). Supervises the daily work of lineman agents, serviceman, meter techs, pole inspectors.
- Assures all applicable UEC procedures are followed regarding the placement and activation of meters. Partners with other departments to conduct routine audits of new meter placements to confirm data is being properly transmitted for billing.
- Coordinates with management, operations, and construction personnel, and UEC contractors to plan, implement, and manage the rights-of-way inspection and maintenance activities consistent with UEC standards and policies. Provides field checks for facilities inspections.
- Provides training and assistance to employees in the department to assure quality of work performed.
- Sets standards of performance for employees and evaluates their performance in completing job requirements.
- Prepares budget recommendations for the Operations Manager related to system maintenance and inspection.
- Reviews and assists in determining the best application of new developments in electric power industry and devises other means of securing maximum efficiency of personnel and equipment within his/her jurisdiction.
- Oversees the format, collection, storage and periodic review of information and data that supports the rights-of-way inspection and maintenance activities.
- Coordinates with the operations team to ensure prompt response to outages.
Serves in the “Tech on Call” rotation to support after hour’s member needs. Is the primary contact for Tech on Call duties.
JOB DUTIES may include other duties as assigned.
- Completes employee evaluations on time and provides meaningful feedback for each employee. May approves apprentice and pre-apprentice evaluations.
- Manages communication and relations with the outage response call center.
- Supports company policies and methods and develops specific operating procedures for approval.
- Assures operations are within various State, Federal and REA guidelines.
- Recruits, and supervises workers directly or through subordinate supervisors.
- Partners with local union leadership and Labor Relations to develop a healthy working relationship, build a collaborative environment, and deal with employee issues.
- Develops and enforces training plans to ensure employee development of those supervised.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and fosters a spirit of cooperation in the workplace.
- Conducts themselves in a manner that reflects well on UEC and contributes to harmonious relations with members and the general public.
- Respectfully takes direction from supervisor and/or manager.
Manages union and non-union represented employees. Oversees and monitors contractor performance. Is responsible for the overall direction coordination and evaluation of these employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Education: BA/BS in Management/Engineering preferred. Ten (10) years of experience may be substituted for education.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years of experience as an electric utility administrator, journey level craft worker or engineer plus three (3) years in a supervisory position. Experience managing to a Union Contract is preferred. Must demonstrate competency in the understanding of hazardous energy control procedures and be familiar with utility line construction equipment and work practices. Must be knowledgeable of the specifications and operating principles of power transmission and distribution equipment as well as voltage control, system protection, metering and automation concepts. Must have a working knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code and be familiar with Rural Utilities Services (RUS) or other electric utility construction specification standards. CDL license is required for this position.
Posting End Date: August 17, 2017