Company Name: City of Tacoma
Job Title: Operational Data Analyst, Strategic Asset Management
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: June 16, 2017
Salary: $82,118.40 - $105,310.40
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power has a unique opportunity for an asset management professional with a strong background in operational data analysis and experience with SAP. This position is responsible for coordinating, developing, implementing, reporting, and analyzing data for Tacoma Power’s Strategic Asset Management Program in support of and in coordination with the development and implementation of Asset Management Plans (AMPs) and the Strategic Maintenance Management Program. This position is part of the centralized Tacoma Power Strategic Asset Management group that provides overall direction and guidance for the program with a Power-wide vision and long range planning and prioritization of efforts with the purpose of advancing the overall level of maturity for the organization and support implementation of Power’s strategic plan.
The ideal candidate is self-motivated, enjoys working in teams and has a strong background in operational data management and developing asset information system strategies.
You would be joining the Rates, Planning and Analysis team in Tacoma Power. Our culture values innovation, agility and collaboration. We are a collaborative team that is proud to deliver services beyond our customers’ expectations. We are looking forward to meeting you and hearing the great ideas you have to help us make a difference in the way we work and thrive at Tacoma Power.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Develop Tacoma Power’s asset information strategy and data standards using advanced data analysis principles and techniques in coordination with technology staff in TPU and General Government.
- Specify and validate functional and technical requirements of Information Systems needed to support and integrate asset management processes. Define and plan the integration of information systems and tools. Verify that asset knowledge standards are consistent with asset management strategy and plans.
- Develop, analyze and interpret complex data using advanced principles and scientific techniques in order to make recommendations for integrated information across different operating platforms, such as SAP, GIS, etc.
- Create, design, maintain and improve analytical tools for operational data (e.g., Excel, Access, etc.). Support operating sections in the development and implementation of new plans and methods for collecting data for operational decision making using SAP, GIS and other data tools.
- Develop criteria and effective and relevant processes for asset management data collection. Plan and manage the collection, maintenance and updating, storage and dissemination of asset management information. Provide support and expertise to operating sections to help them change their business practices to close data gaps and implement asset management plans and strategies. This includes creating assets in SAP and creating/maintaining maintenance plans, task lists, measuring points and measurement documents in SAP.
- Develop technical reports and write-ups based on data analysis. Train staff in the use of analytical models and tools (e.g., SAP, Excel, Access, etc.).
- Minimum three years of experience in operational data management, analysis and reporting and the application of asset management principles and practices
- Bachelor’s degree in sciences, economics, planning or related field
- Electric utility experience and knowledge of electric utility equipment strongly desired
- Ability to collaborate in cross-functional work teams in the development and implementation of asset management plans and asset maintenance strategies
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize multiple assignments, complex assignments, and competing priorities to produce products that are accurate and on time
- Ability to accurately choose from and utilize a variety of mathematical and/or statistical techniques to formulate conclusions or solve practical problems
- Strong verbal and written communication skillsAnalysis
Use data and information in a clear and rational process to assess and understand issues, evaluate options, form accurate conclusions, and make decisions. Make sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems. Ask the right questions to accurately analyze situations. Acquire data from multiple and diverse sources when solving problems. Uncover root causes to difficult problems to support evaluation of pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options. Prepare clear, concise, and comprehensive written reports which require displaying and presenting statistical, graphical, and other reporting methods to audiences of varying technical sophistication.
Effectively identify, collect, organize and document data and information in ways that make the information most useful for subsequent assessment, analysis, and investigation. Compile and maintain reports, records and various other forms of pertinent information in an organized and professional manner.
Experience with SAP. Working knowledge of asset information strategic requirements, tools and techniques for data collection and reporting, and methods of data analysis. Knowledge of basic concepts and relationships of an asset register, including the role of spatial, performance, condition and historical data. Knowledge of analysis and monitoring techniques, processes and performance indicators needed to provide management reports on operations and maintenance.
Effective communication both verbal and in writing including the compilation of reports, presentations and records; interacting respectfully and sensitively with individuals and groups to develop and maintain productive relationships and achieve results. Makes excellent customer service a high priority, responding to changing customer needs, and helping customers implement complete solutions.
Conduct all assignments in a professional and timely manner, work with confidentiality and discretion. Work effectively through complex policy, process, and people-related organizational dynamics. Use a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should attach a resume and cover letter that includes major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position.
An initial review of applications will be June 30, 2017.
Applicants who have the strongest background related to the responsibilities of this position may be invited to participate in one or more interviews. Appointment is subject to passing a background check.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources Department at 253.591.5400 before the closing date.
Posting End Date: July 7, 2017