Company Name: Okanogan PUD
Phone Number: (509) 422-8471
Job Title: Network Analyst
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Telecommunications
Posting Start Date: May 10, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
A. Job Summary
This position is responsible for attending to the daily operations of the District’s wholesale broadband business initiatives including management, maintenance and troubleshooting of the networks and servers used to support the Districts wholesale broadband business initiatives, network administration, order processing and record keeping, and any interaction with Retail Service Providers that may be required. This position will administer Intel-based Server platforms running Microsoft Windows or Linux operating systems to support a variety of services including but not limited to DNS, DHCP, FTP, TFTP, bandwidth monitoring, bandwidth authentication, Syslog, online order entry and order fulfillment, fiber plant records management, NMS, EMS, NTP and Radius. The Network Analyst will administer multiple databases including: MS SQL, My SQL, Oracle, and Access. Working closely with Retail Service Providers, the position will train and assist in the use of District resources and equipment, utilizing strong communication skills and a thorough knowledge of networking technologies. The position must exercise considerable initiative and independent judgment in completing assigned duties to ensure the safety and operability of District owned equipment. Although this position works the traditional work week, there may be a requirement to work outside of the normal work day to allow for after hours maintenance.
B. Essential Functions
- Perform software setup, maintenance, troubleshooting and testing on servers directly related to the District’s wholesale broadband business initiatives.
- Respond to Retail Service Provider questions and issues relating to the District’s wholesale broadband business initiatives.
- Diagnose hardware and software issues relating to District equipment and facilitate necessary repairs.
- Assist with the administration of the Department’s Internet and Intranet web pages.
- Maintain a working knowledge of industry trends and networking technologies and apply training and experience to real world problems.
- Develop and maintain technical standards and documentation to ensure accurate, current and complete information regarding system configuration and problem resolution.
- Maintain confidentiality of District records and information.
- Implement and maintain the District’s security policies and procedures, including firewall configuration.
- Assist the Network Engineer in the design and implementation of the District’s security policies and practices.
- Comply with all applicable RCWs, WACs and District policies.
- Develop and conduct training programs for internal and external users as needed.
- Develop test procedures and preventative maintenance schedules to ensure the proper operation of assets related to the District’s wholesale broadband business initiatives.
- Assist the Network Engineer in planning telecommunication systems improvements / build out to ensure that safety and reliability are maintained.
- Assist the Network Engineer in the review and recommendation of new software, devices, apparatus and equipment leading to increased efficiency, economy and standardization of the District’s telecommunications systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Management.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Must be knowledgeable in the following areas:
- OSI Model Layer 1 physical connectivity concepts and design using wireless, copper and optical mediums
- OSI Model Layer 2 Ethernet switching concepts and design
- OSI Model Layer 3 Networking concepts and design including routing protocols such as RIP, OSPF, and BGP
- DNS Server, DHCP, FTP, Syslog, Radius, NTP server implementation
- Protocol and Network analyzer technology
- SNMP management and proactive management practices (NMS & EMS systems)
- Network security concepts and practices
- Remote Access and VPN technology and implementation
- Ability to multi-task and manage confidential information.
- Ability to use independent and discretionary judgment.
- Must have methodical network troubleshooting skills and be able to draw conclusions from available data.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems in a professional and timely manner while working under pressure or in potentially stressful environments.
- Able to set and meet deadlines, organize resources, establish priorities and utilize work scheduling techniques.
- Must be able to understand and carry out detailed oral and written instructions.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills and the ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with internal and external customers.
- Ability to create and execute “Methods of Procedure” for addressing any type of system upgrade, maintenance, failure or outage.
- Ability to present project concepts and potential service offerings to all levels within the department and organization.
- Ability to create computer network diagrams and maintain accurate system records.
- Strong skills in word processing and spreadsheet programs.
- Ability to use GIS based fiber management tool to maintain accurate physical plant cable records.
- Must be able to present a high level of professionalism at all times.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science / Engineering or related technical discipline is preferred, or
- Associates Degree in Information Technology / Network Administration or related technical discipline and two (2) to four (4) years related experience.
- CompTIA Network + and Cisco Certified Network Associate Certifications preferred.
D. Typical Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Requires sitting for extended periods of time, as well as moderate standing and walking.
- Requires the frequent use of office equipment (computers, typewriters, calculators, copy machine, etc.).
- Requires the ability to lift and carry up to 45 pounds.
- Requires the lifting and transporting of network hardware.
- Requires bending, reaching, kneeling, twisting and working in confined spaces.
- May be required to ascend and descend ladders and/or stairs.
- Requires sensory skills to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public.
- Requires the ability to work effectively with persons who exhibit many types of personalities and behaviors.
- Performance of the position requires working safely around network hardware.
No other special requirements. Request for accommodations will be reviewed on an individual basis.
E. Additional Information
- Must be able to work some weekends and evenings as work load demands.
- Some exposure to adverse weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Some travel required. Must have valid Washington State Driver License.
- Keeps Network Engineer informed on daily progress in problem areas.
The above is not meant to be all-inclusive and requirements may change according to the demands of this position.
How to Apply:
Please see www.okanoganpud.org for job description, requirements, and to submit application with resume. EOE/EOP.
Posting End Date: May 20, 2016