The Hydro Comm Technician troubleshoots, repairs, calibrates, maintains, tests and installs communications and control system hardware, software, and equipment in hydroelectric power generating stations and facilities. Systems include: microwave, telemetry, two-way radio, fiber optic, multiplex carrier, VoIP & POTS telephone, SCADA & DCS, RTU’s, serial comms (RS-232 / RS-485), frame relay, protective relay (transfer trip & power line carrier), Electronic Security Perimeter (Routable Networking components including Defense-in-Depth strategies), routable networks security, physical security (alarms & video surveillance), misc. electronics, AC/DC, instrumentation, DC Power, and PV systems.
Essential Duties / Skills (other duties may be assigned)
- Networking (firewalls, routers, switches, VLAN, encryption, TCP/IP, UDP, VPN, OSI model)
- SCADA (management, graphical development, data historian, OS patches, security)
- Power Plant Control System Security (network security, defense-in-depth, risk modeling/remediation, NERC CIP compliance / monitoring, ports/services)
- PLC interface with DCS distributed control system (input/output, scaling, PLC programming)
- Telemetry (modbus, DNP, Serial, RTU, I/O)
- Telecom (VoIP, POTS, DDS, T1, etc.)
- Microwave (Hardware, software, troubleshooting, etc.)
- Two-Way Radio (900 MHz, Motorola MotoTrbo, etc.)
- Fiber Optics (OTDR, Maintenance, etc.)
- Auxiliary Equipment (Batteries, solar, back-up generators, AC/DC, peripheral computer components)
- Project Management (develop wiring diagrams, layout drawings, & engineering specifications for system modifications)
- Assists with maintenance and repair of mechanical and electrical equipment and systems
- Hydroelectric power plant experience.
- Ability to operate, control and monitor hydroelectric generating units and auxiliary equipment.
- High school diploma with additional education and/or certifications (GROL, NARTE, CISSP, CISCO, etc.) highly desirable.
- Completion of a recognized Comm Tech apprenticeship program or equivalent course work in electronics and data communications.
- At least five (5) years of responsible experience maintaining, installing & repairing electronic control systems & data communications equipment.
- Knowledge of: R56 standards , FCC rules / regulations, NERC CIP standards, Radio frequencies, electronics and instrumentation theory, DC/AC theory, Networking and Security principles.
- Unrestricted CA Drivers License and clean driving record.
- Ability to climb towers up to 175’ and complete physically demanding work in rough natural terrain.
- Willingness to be available for work during off hours in case of emergency.
- Willingness to relocate permanent residence to within 50 miles of Murphys, CA.
NCPA offers excellent benefits including CalPERS medical and retirement plan. See our website for more details on NCPA’s extensive benefits package.
To apply for this job please visit www.ncpa.com.