Website Modern Electric Water Company
JOB TITLE: WATER SUPERINTENDENT
JOB TYPE: REGULAR FULL-TIME
This position will remain open until filled; application review is ongoing. The hiring team reserves the right to make a hiring decision and/or to close the recruitment at any time.
Modern Electric Water Company (Modern) is a customer owned, not-for profit corporation, engaged in providing high quality, economical electric and water utility services for the benefit of residents and businesses in the Spokane Valley.
Modern is currently accepting applications for the position of Water Superintendent. This position offers a competitive salary with strong benefits. We are seeking a career-oriented individual with a positive, can-do attitude, a team player who enjoys working with others and problem solving, can bring a superior work ethic and the desire to always continue to learn and grow in their career. Successful candidate must possess the ability to lead others, plan ahead, manage and prioritize, problem solve, communicate effectively, maintain effective working relationships and have a strong customer orientation.
The Water Superintendent is primarily responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the water system. This position reports to the General Manager and is responsible for directing the operation and maintenance of the water utility and distribution system to ensure appropriate water and water quality to customers is delivered in a safe and cost-effective manner in accordance with strict governmental regulations. This position requires a background in water treatment and water management. A minimum of five to seven years management experience in municipal water utility is required. Candidate must possess a state certification as a Water Distribution Manager and a Level III certificate from the Washington Department of Health Services.
As the Water Superintendent, you would be eligible for an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, a 457 deferred compensation plan with a company match provision, paid holidays and paid personal time off. If this sounds like the career opportunity that you have been looking for, apply today!
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates must submit a Modern Electric Water Company Employment Application, current resume, cover letter indicating why you are interested in this position and what you can contribute, based upon your experience and education as well as three professional references. Please forward your resume, application, cover letter and references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Water Superintendent as the subject line. Resumes, applications, cover letters and references may also be sent to Modern Electric Water Company, Human Resources Dept., P.O. BOX 14008, Spokane Valley, WA 99214.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for assuring the integrity and operation of the water system on a continuous basis.
- Manage and participate in the development and administration of the Water Department budget: forecast additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies: assist in the monitoring of and approval of expenditures & recommend adjustments, as necessary.
- Monitors and controls budget expenditures by ensuring purchases of maintenance and repair supplies as well as inventory control.
- Attend pre-construction and pre-grading conferences with developers and contractors.
- Responsible for assigning, scheduling, supervising, training, evaluating, and ensuring efficient, effective, and quality work of the water crew.
- Design, prepare and initiate work orders including drawings and specifications for the installation of water distribution facilities for new commercial, industrial, and residential developments.
- Ensure applicable safety regulations are followed within the department and employees are knowledgeable of safety of safety regulations, wear correct equipment and practice protocols while working out in the field.
- Supervise crew on safety, maintains and develop a Water Department Safety Program to ensure a safe environment and safe employee practices.
- Consult with developers, contractors and homeowners regarding methods and materials accepted within the Company Specifications and Requirements.
- Extensive responsible experience in and knowledge of water production operations, water treatment operations, systems operations through SCADA, SCADA operations and maintenance and water quality; and the supervision of employees.
- Analyze potential load requirements; prepare preliminary drawings for developers; coordinate and oversee the development of construction plans; determine material requirements and project fee schedules.
- Manages the water utility’s compliance with state and federal drinking water standards for water quality reporting and administration of emergency responses.
- Approve water plans, write estimates, draw up contracts, ensure company costs are paid, order material necessary to complete projects, produce traffic plan and obtain road permit, coordinate asphalts/concrete companies for patching, schedule and oversee work crews inspect contractor materials and installations for compliance with Modern’s specifications and require confirmation of successful pressure and bacteria test.
- Evaluate needs to distribution main line replacement; age, size, material, and fire protection demands via computer modeling analysis program.
- Review plans for cross connections, require and inspect installation of backflow protection, require state certified test, and maintain related records.
- Monitor and maintain required chlorine residue in the water system.
- Provide educational articles for company quarterly newsletters.
- Assist in educating the Board on keeping our water safe and Water Department operations and customers’ topics.
- Participates in management team meetings to develop long-term goals, confers on mutual problems, exchanges information and shares in the determinations and formulation of management policies and procedures.
- Ensure that drinking water meets or exceeds Federal and State regulations; develop, schedule oversee, and record water quality monitoring plan as required by SDWA. Represent Modern Electric Water Company with SAJB on area well-head protection.
- Develop company consumer confidence report. Meet with State DOH for Sanitary Survey. Keep updated on new and proposed rules of the SDWA.
- Handles customers events, listens, documents, investigate complaints and makes independent decisions to reach satisfactory resolution.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of water distribution systems and regulatory requirements related to water systems from reading meters to writing specifications, related to Federal, State and County regulations and OSHA/WISHA safety regulations.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and complete documents, staff reports.
- Show willingness to learn new methods, procedures, or techniques to improve department.
- Ability to read maps, drawings, schematics, and other materials used in water distribution.
- Knowledge of hydraulics, surveying, and CAD
- Maintain confidentiality and apply good judgement in resolving problems.
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, outside vendors and the public.
- Excellent leadership skills, including skill in motivating and inspiring staff, solving problems, making sound decisions, building cohesive teams and being a team player with a collaborative mindset and positive supporting attitude.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated in order to make independent decisions using sound judgement.
- Show concern for quality, accuracy and completeness of own work and direct reports.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of restricted or private information/records and effectively handles sensitive matters.
Job Qualification Requirements:
- AA Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Possess a State certification as a Water Distribution Manager and a Level III certificate from the Washington Department of Health Services
- Possess a valid state driver’s license.
- Background in water treatment and water management
- Minimum of five years in management experience in municipal water utility.
Job Qualifications – Preferred:
- Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent training and experience thorough training in hydraulics and pump systems.
- State certification as a Cross-Connection Control Specialist.
- Seven years in supervisory position with management experience in municipal water utility.
Modern Electric Water Company’s Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Modern Electric Water Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, gender, national origin, ancestry, religion, physical or mental disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws.
Modern Electric Water Company will make reasonable accommodation to assist a qualified person with a disability in the job application, interview process, and to perform the essential functions of the job whenever possible, where undue hardship would not be created for Modern Electric Water Company. If you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact Human Resources via email at email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit modernelectricwater.com.