Company Name: Blachly-Lane Electric Co-op
Phone Number: (541) 688-8711
Job Title: Metering and Substation Technician
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: April 29, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Under supervision of the Distribution Facilities Foreman, shall be responsible for construction, operations and maintenance of BLEC’s electric substation and metering systems.
The Metering and Substation Technician supports operations supervisors and has no supervisory authority, but may retain functional authority over specific projects or areas of responsibility as specified in this position description or otherwise delegated by the Distribution Facilities Foreman.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs installation, maintenance, testing, and troubleshooting of metering installations as required.
- Performs all technical aspects of substation construction, maintenance and operation. Monthly substation inspections, annual equipment testing as scheduled and equipment troubleshooting when necessary.
- Ability to assist operations with system switching when required which includes the energizing or de-energizing of equipment rated up to 115kV.
- Ability to work on and with a variety of equipment utilized in the electric utility industry such as voltage regulators, reclosers, power transformers, circuit switchers, Sf6 type breakers and associated protective relaying and controls.
- Proficiency in mathematics to perform calculations and a solid understanding of electricity and construction, operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of electrical distribution substation equipment.
- Familiar with the installation of AC/DC circuits with the ability to read, interpret, utilize and update when necessary electrical schematics and drawings.
- A mechanical aptitude consistent with the operation and troubleshooting of mechanisms associated with devices utilized throughout an electric utility system.
- Have a working knowledge and the ability to assist with field installation, commissioning, maintenance and troubleshooting of BLEC’s SCADA system. Including the installation of conduits, wiring, fiber optic cables and any additional components necessary for connectivity.
- An ability to utilize construction equipment such as man lifts, backhoes, mini excavators, skid steers and trenchers in a substation environment with extreme caution and minimal supervision to complete tasks associated with substation improvements.
- Must be familiar with or have the ability to learn computer operating systems required to program, interrogate and manage a variety of meters, relays and controls to assist engineering and operations as required.
- Provides assistance to the Radio Technician with the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of BLEC’s current radio system as required.
- Provides assistance to the Serviceman, Line, and Tree crews as needed.
- Other reasonably related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & TRAINING:
- A high school diploma or equivalent and a Journeyman certification in an electrical trade with 3 years’ experience, or a degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university or college.
- Previous satisfactory job experience and references demonstrating ability to perform tasks requiring a high degree of accuracy in all details.
- Knowledge of and ability to use personal computers, software, hardware, and interface accessories.
- Shall be required to maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather and rough terrain, walking and carrying staking equipment.
- Ability to read, write and interpret manuals, documents and correspondence related to the job. Must understand and apply OSHA regulations, have working knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code and a thorough knowledge of AC and DC theory, communication systems theory, and electrical utility relaying theory.
- Must be willing to accept trouble calls and perform such work in all kinds of weather and at all hours of the day or night.
- Personal characteristics shall include integrity, self-motivation, positive professional image, courtesy, good attendance, and excellent problem solver.
- Must have the ability to obtain if necessary an Oregon Commercial driver’s license with a good driving record and first aid/CPR card.
How to Apply:
Send resume by Friday, May 20, 2016, to:
BLACHLY-LANE ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. BOX 70
JUNCTION CITY, OR 97448
Posting End Date: May 20, 2016