Company Name: Alaska Power & Telephone
City: Port Townsend
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Mechanics
Posting Start Date: January 31, 2018
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time Type: Hours
We are looking for a Mechanical Engineer, for design tasks and hands-on operations assistance around the State of Alaska. We are open to various home-base locations but prefer someone in Alaska or the Northwest. This role will provide engineering support for a wide range of electric utility tasks including generation, transmission and distribution serving over 40 cities and villages in rural Alaska.
As a small utility we offer a diversity of experience. We work together to safely integrate innovative new generation resources including renewables, address day to day operational issues, ensure power system stability, connect and monitor industrial load centers power quality, pursue coordination issues, address regulatory requirements and other such tasks. The successful candidate will work to find their own relative strengths within our staff and ultimately take leadership on a variety of projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the installation, maintenance, repair and rebuilding of hydro and diesel generating equipment, including electrical, hydraulic and mechanical systems.
- Design and document mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- Provide operational support including non-working hours emergency troubleshooting if needed.
- Provide expertise in identification of engineering design problems; investigate, analyze, and develop corrective action plans; draft reports and make presentations.
- Prepare operational procedures, equipment specifications, RFPs and material requisitions.
- Specify and perform engineering studies and reports for internal or external use.
- Perform equipment installation, testing, startup, modifications, upgrades, repairs and documentation.
- Prepare safety procedures for facilities.
- Work closely to support field personnel; may oversee contractors, interns and other staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (BS) required in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent degree and background).
- 3+ years of experience, preferably in power generation.
- Knowledge of engineering design principles and engineering standards and codes applicable to electric utility operations such as, generation, transmission, distribution.
- Ability to safely identify and work around electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Efficient with AutoCAD, Microsoft office and other similar basic computer tools.
- Current passport and ability to travel to other remote locations up to 25%.
- Ability to pass background and drug tests.
- Rural Alaskan experience with isolated grid operations and extreme climate challenges.
- Professional Engineering license and the additional cold region courses.
- Familiar with suppliers and equipment sources for diesels, generators and accessories.
- Knowledge of diesel air emissions regulations and emissions testing and abatement equipment.
- Experience with Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit and John Deer diesel generators (50kw to 4000kw).
- Experience with hydraulic pressure units, bearings, and large water valves.
- Understanding of electrical power and control circuits.
How to Apply:
Applications are only accepted online. Please apply with your cover letter and resume in a single document at: https://careers-hrpmsi.icims.com/jobs/2362/mechanical-engineer/login
AP&T is a small employee & investor owned, non-union utility. We offer competitive wages and an attractive compensation and benefits package.
EEO Employer/Vets/Disabled and Drug and Alcohol-free workplace
Posting End Date: March 1, 2018