Under the general direction of the Supervisor, Power Operations Training, researches, designs, reviews, evaluates, and conducts NERC Continuous Education training to Power System Operations control room personnel, and all other classifications mandated by NERC or other grid generation and operating standards regarding the operation, control and monitoring of the SMUD Balancing Authority and SMUD’s generation, transmission and gas pipeline facilities.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
1) As a NERC Continuing Education Provider, designs, develops and implements educational and training programs to meet NERC regulatory compliance and reliability standards, and provides such training for all groups, including NERC Certified Power System Operators, to maintain regulatory compliance and enhance employees skills, knowledge and career opportunities, while fostering SMUD Balancing Authority and SMUD reliability.
2) Assesses the need for new training programs or enhancements by evaluating the effectiveness of current programs; discusses with Supervisor, Power Operations Training, to ensure training meets operational needs as well as NERC and SMUD mandates; evaluates training programs to ensure quality standards are met; evaluates and incorporates new technology into curriculum; and develops and monitors performance measurements, metrics and performance plans.
3) Develops, implements, monitors and evaluates training programs for electric and gas pipeline operations staff by providing on-the-job and classroom training; ensures the progress of employees in training; provides on-the-job feedback and guidance as necessary; and coordinates work scheduling to accommodate necessary training activities.
4) Designs, develops and implements the System Operations and Reliability Department’s training programs to ensure that they meet operational needs and regulatory compliance and reliability standards; reviews, evaluates and selects Computer Based Training (CBT), videotapes/films/written training and educational materials to supplement in-house training and education programs; designs and develops training programs based on performance gaps; designs and develops course content specific to new hires; and reviews lesson plans and course content to ensure training needs are addressed; supports Power System Operations, Power Operations Engineering and Energy Management Systems group to develop and maintain the Operator Training Simulator and associated training material.
5) Conducts and/or coordinates course instructions; coordinates facilities, equipment, and announcements; tracks attendance and develops report for personnel who are in non-compliance; develops training programs that minimize impact on SMUD operations; incorporates significant maintenance and operation requirements; documents employee training, certification, qualifications and regulatory-mandated training; coordinates programs presented by outside trainers; conducts post-course evaluation; directs and coordinates, as assigned, other SMUD personnel assigned to develop and conduct training; serves as point-of-contact related to training programs; and maintains training material and equipment.
6) Supports the SMUD Balancing Area and SMUD’s skills and knowledge needs by maintaining the job task and analysis and by identifying training opportunities; performs job/task and needs analysis; performs feasibility studies; develops skills assessments and performs gap analysis; and researches and selects training programs and software to maintain the skills and knowledge needs required.
8) Assists in the administration of internal/external projects by assisting in identifying project objectives; identifying internal/external project team within area of responsibility; assisting in the development of Request for Proposals where applicable; and participates in developing project plans.
9) Maintains positive relationships with other department units, with Distribution Systems Operations and other SMUD departments and with other utilities to coordinate responsible activities and ensure resolution of operating system problems or disputes.