Company Name: Kootenai Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Phone Number: (208) 292-3263
Job Title: Manager of Engineering
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: April 5, 2018
Salary Per: Per Month
Work Time Type: Hours
Kootenai Electric Cooperative is located in scenic North Idaho, the heart of abundant recreational opportunities. Settled in a beautiful lakefront mountain setting, it is a favorite destination for tourists. Just outside our back door are national forests, lakes, rivers, and trails offering plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, boating/water sports, fishing, hunting, golfing, snow sports, and much more. The four distinct seasons offer recreational opportunities year round. The Coeur d’Alene/Hayden metropolitan area also offers a variety of entertainment and shopping venues and is a short 45 minute drive to Spokane, Washington and access to domestic and international air travel.
Purpose of Position
The Manager of Engineering manages the activities of the Chief, System, and Electrical Engineers and the Drafter and/or Designer in a manner that will produce maximum results in providing service to the Cooperative’s members as required by changing situations and approved objectives, policies and plans, and to work with other managers and VPs to achieve Cooperative goals.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions
- Periodically appraises the performance of personnel assigned under his/her supervision, documents employee performance, and takes action, when necessary, to counsel employee or to implement performance improvement plans or take disciplinary action with the support of Human Resources.
- Ensures personnel under his/her supervision are thoroughly trained in accordance with the qualifications and requirements necessary to achieve maximum results in their positions and develops others to the full extent of their ability.
- Analyzes employee attitudes on organizational goals. Develops and stimulates morale and motivates team spirit and enthusiasm throughout the department by appropriate delegating, recognition of accomplishment, coaching, counseling and advancement according to merit, interest and ability.
- As a member of the Management Staff, makes recommendations to develop long-range plans to be presented by the General Manager to Directors for consideration and appropriate action.
- Develops long-range plans for the Engineering Department in terms of programs, personnel, facilities, equipment and supplies; submits plans to the VP of Engineering & Technical Services for review, revision and approval.
- Plans, develops and recommends to the VP of Engineering & Technical Services annual goals to be accomplished by the Engineering Department in fulfillment of its objectives; revises work programs and schedules for personnel under his/her supervision.
- Develops recommendations on policies to be formulated and submitted to the Board of Directors in areas dealing with Engineering and other areas common to construction rules and regulations or service rules and regulations; recommendations will be reviewed by the Management Staff.
- Initiates or directs studies for improvements of the construction, maintenance, service, safety and training.
- Develops and recommends budgetary requirements for the system electrical plant. Reviews system plant budget with the Management Staff.
- Develops recommendations for submission to the VP of Engineering & Technical Services on the purchase and/or replacement of assigned equipment; establishes an adequate maintenance and service schedule.
- Participates in Management Team meetings to develop future plans, confers on mutual problems, exchanges information, and shares in the determination and formulation of management policies and procedures.
- Works in conjunction with the VP of Engineering and Technical services to directs the activities of the Engineering Department and makes certain that all responsibilities, authority and supportive or reporting relationships are understood, accepted and reflected in operating results. Assigns appropriate responsibilities and delegates authority with full recognition that he/she may not be relieved of his/her overall accountability.
- Resolves member service complaints referred to him involving quality and continuity of service and line changes; follows up on those settled with immediate staff to assure member good will. Refers those complaints to the VP of Engineering and Technical Services which he/she is unable to settle or resolve.
- Works in conjunction with the VP of Engineering and Technical Services to approve the internal operating procedures established for his/her department.
- Stays abreast of all Cooperative policies and procedures and communicates policies to his/her immediate staff and the department as required.
- Advises and counsels personnel under his/her immediate supervision with respect to special items beyond their authority and makes the necessary decisions.
- Studies and reviews terms and conditions of service, Cooperative By-laws, rate classifications, construction drawings and specifications, safety rules, power bills and publications to keep currently informed; also keeps informed of technical developments outside the Cooperative.
- Attends and participates in local, state, regional and national meetings as required or directed.
- Investigates accidents and verifies the reports when personnel within the department are involved.
- Develops positive support among the department personnel for the Cooperative’s programs and goals and furnishes support for other department personnel among the personnel within his department.
- Reviews technical information received from consulting engineers and reviews various engineering reports with the Engineering Staff and the VP of Engineering.
- Reviews total system operation and develops guidelines to ensure maximum results.
- Reviews time reports, outage reports, service orders and other reports, which reflect time spent, work accomplished, and material and equipment used. Reviews federal regulatory compliance filings and documentation prepared by the Cooperative’s regulatory compliance officer. Fills in for the regulatory compliance officer as needed.
- Supervises Chief, System and Electrical Engineers, and Drafter.
- May perform the duties of the Chief Engineer and/or the System Engineer as needed in their absence.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of construction and materials contracts and facilitates the competitive bidding process to ensure the Cooperative receives competitive prices.
- Performs other duties as required.
- As a minimum have a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering with a “power option,” from an accredited four year college or university.
- A minimum of 10 years in the power utility industry with experience in the design, installation and maintenance of electrical distribution systems, five of which were in a supervisory role.
- Professional Engineering Registration in the States of Idaho and Washington.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Must have excellent communication skills. Must be highly motivated with positive management skills and a strong commitment to cooperative principles and to providing excellent customer service.
- Knowledge of National Electrical Safety Code, Washington State electrical safety code for utilities, engineering principals, operations and maintenance, materials and equipment, EPA requirements and OSHA standards.
- Must possess a valid unrestricted Driver’s License.
- Utility line construction and design and knowledge of utility accounting systems is preferred.
- Skilled in development of human capital, including setting of individual performance objectives; coaching, guiding, training, and motivating subordinates; development of subordinates’ professional skills and competencies; measuring job performance, including performance evaluation; and identifying areas of opportunity to include implementation of appropriate developmental corrective plans.
- Keeps current on technological advances in the engineering field.
- Fosters a professional image by personally being visible, a positive role model and displaying a positive attitude. Inspires others.
- Must be able to use office equipment such as a copier, computer, printer and various software packages.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Ability to manage diverse work functions while balancing and adjusting priorities in accordance with changing requirements.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to a rapidly-changing work environment.
- Ability to understand personal and departmental role in the bigger organizational picture, and to respond as an effective team member.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to compare, copy, compute, compile, analyze, coordinate, and synthesize.
- Working conditions will require from time to time being in an outside environment in all types of weather for extended periods of time.
- From time to time this position deals with irate and/or verbally abusive people both on the phone and in person.
- Travel may be required.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates must complete a KEC employment application available at www.kec.com / Your Cooperative / Job Opportunities
Open through June 4, 2018 or until filled.
KEC is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability.
Posting End Date: June 4, 2018