Company Name: Cowlitz PUD
Job Title: Manager of Energy Policy
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Power Supply
Posting Start Date: March 29, 2018
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The role of the Manager of Energy Policy is to develop and oversee the District’s policy, compliance and regulatory strategy related to power resources. This position will serve as the primary point of contact, on behalf of the District, with various industry groups. The Manager of Energy Policy will also be the District representation with various industry groups to ensure all issues and concerns are addressed when they arise.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitor, analyze and develop strategy related to energy and transmission policy and market structure. This role will include advocating for the District’s interests at BPA, FERC, the Public Generating Pool, the American Public Power Association, the WA Department of Commerce and other regional and national entities as necessary.
- Actively participate in Bonnieville Power Adminstration (BPA) rate cases and BPA’s development of policy and business practices.
- Develops policy recommendations, draft legislation, and strategy papers on policy, legislative and regulatory matters. Anticipates and coordinates the District’s position and the impacts to the District of legislative/regulatory activities.
- Assists the Director of Power Management on various power supply issues, particularly where knowledge of energy and transmission policy or market rules are likely to influence power resource decisions. This may include activities related to purchasing and selling power, requesting transmission service, constructing and operating resources and reviewing power purchases and sales for major industrial customers.
- Assists in the negotiation, administration and interpretation of various contracts and agreements associated with the purchase and utilization of power resources.
- Represent the District at meetings, conferences and on various committees as needed.
- Performs tasks as assigned by the Director of Power Management to help the Power Management business unit to meet District goals and expectations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other District employees, outside vendors and the general public.
- Ability to work in multi-task work environment, with interruptions and distractions while maintaining and meeting strict deadlines for projects.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and knowledge of basic arithmetic skills required.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated in order to make independent decisions using sound judgment.
- Requires conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a professional business-like manner, both orally and in writing. Must understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of restricted or private information and records and effectively handle sensitive matters.
- May require work hours in excess of 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Must wear proper apparel for assigned working conditions in accordance with the District’s dress code policy.
- May require some travel (30%).
- Observe and abide by all District policies, goals and objectives.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time with up to 4 hours of consecutive computer work.
- Must be able to exchange phone conversations with office background noise.
- Must be able to position self to move up to 30 lbs
- Must be able to pass post offer background check.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license and be able to drive safely in all-weather/road conditions
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Its intent is to be a general guide of the duties and tasks we may ask you to perform as part of your employment with us. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of your duties or responsibilities with us. Job descriptions are dynamic living documents that change, as business needs change. We may elect to clarify, change or even add to this job description and your list of assigned duties in the future. We operate as a team and from time to time, you may be required to complete other related duties as assigned. Be able to perform all tasks asked or assigned of you is an important part of being a team member and a key expectation for your position.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Economics, Political Science or related field with a minimum of seven (7) years policy process experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be qualifying.
Posting End Date: April 22, 2018