Company Name: Cowlitz PUD
Phone Number: (360) 501-9221
Job Title: Manager of Government Affairs
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Miscellaneous Positions
Posting Start Date: September 1, 2016
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
This position manages, coordinates and implements intergovernmental activities meet District goals and objectives. This includes managing the organization’s governmental information, developing and maintaining customer/government relation strategies, and providing required intergovernmental support and services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as the PUD’s primary point of contact to the various federal, state, local and elected bodies of importance to the PUD to ensure the District’s concerns are represented.
- Coordinates PUD communications to legislators, regulators, Commissioners, PUD staff, the general public and others regarding District positions on legislative/regulatory/other issues.
- Coordinates efforts with chambers of commerce, economic development councils and other community organizations that are involved in legislative/regulatory matters.
- Actively participates in trade associations that affect legislative and regulatory issues (these include the Washington PUD Association (WPUDA), The American Public Power Association (APPA), the Public Power Council (PPC) as well as others.
- Develops policy recommendations, drafts strategy papers on legislative/regulatory matters.
- Develop work plans and budgets for the Governmental Affairs Department including personnel, equipment and facilities.
- Performs tasks as assigned by the General Manager to help the Utility meet District goals and expectations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other District employees, outside vendors and the general public.
- Ability to work in multi-task work environment, with constant interruptions and distractions while maintaining and meeting strict deadlines for projects.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and knowledge of basic arithmetic skills required.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated in order to make independent decisions using sound judgment.
- Requires conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a professional business-like manner, both orally and in writing. Must understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of restricted or private information and records and effectively handle sensitive matters.
- Knowledge of Utility related state and federal laws.
- Ability to communicate both internal and external communications using a variety of methods including written, electronic, and verbal.
- May require work hours in excess of 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Must wear proper apparel for assigned working conditions in accordance with the District’s dress code policy.
- May require some travel (30%).
- Observe and abide by all District policies, goals and objectives.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time with up to 4 hours of consecutive computer work.
- Must be able to exchange phone conversations with office background noise.
- Must be able to position self to move up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to pass post offer background check.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license and be able to drive safely in all-weather/road conditions.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. It is intended as a general guide of the duties and tasks we may ask you to perform as part of your employment with us. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of your duties or responsibilities with us. Job descriptions are a dynamic living document that changes as business needs change. We may elect to clarify, change or even add to this job description and your list of assigned duties in the future. We operate as a team and from time to time you may be asked to perform tasks that you may have observed other people doing. Performing all tasks that may be asked or assigned to do is an important part of being a team member and a key expectation for your position.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Public Affairs, Engineering Political Science, Communications or related field with four (3) years of experience in government affairs. An equivalent combination of experience and training that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be qualifying.
How to Apply:
Cowlitz PUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. This recruitment will remain open until filled with first review of applications taking place on Friday, September 23,2016. To apply for this position you must complete the District’s application, which can be found at www.cowlitzpud.org, and provide a cover letter, resume and answers to the supplemental questions. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Posting End Date: September 30, 2016