Company Name: City of Ukiah Electric Utility Department
Phone Number: (707) 467-5726
Job Title: Lineperson
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Linecrew
Posting Start Date: March 31, 2016
Salary Per: Per Month
Work Time Type: Hours
Under general supervision, perform experienced level work in the construction and maintenance of overhead and underground lines, street lighting, and electrical distribution systems; and perform related work as assigned.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
These examples are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The examples of work performed are neither restricted to nor all-encompassing of the duties to be performed under this job title. E=Essential Duty; M=Major Portion of Time)
- Climb poles and work at various heights above the ground installing and replacing primary and secondary voltage lines and line equipment while distribution primaries are energized. (E,M)
- Set and guy poles and install cross arms and brackets and string lines. (E,M)
- Install line equipment such as transformers, switches, cut-outs, disconnects, lightning arrestors, insulators, circuit breakers, street light fixtures, and other line apparatus. (E,M)
- Install, hook up, and maintain transformers. (E)
- Install, remove and repair conductors. (E,M)
- Install street lights. (E)
- Remove old poles and fixtures. (E)
- Transfer energized primary lines. (E,M)
- Make emergency repairs on primary and secondary wires and transformers. (E)
- Test pole lines and other facilities. (E)
- Trim trees to clear lines. (E)
- Perform underground cable work. (E,M)
- Trouble shoot system and electrical problems. (E)
- Maintain traffic signal system. (E)
- Assist with Apprenticeship training. (E)
- Work flexible hours, overtime, and take 24-hour on-call duty on a rotating basis, including nights, weekends, and holidays. (E)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Methods, materials, and techniques of line attendant trade.
- Installation, operation, and maintenance of overhead and underground transmission and distribution lines.
- Hazard and safety measures of the trade.
- Climb poles and work at heights up to 80 feet for extended periods of time.
- Use independent judgment and initiative.
- Follow oral and written instructions.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Read and interpret line construction plans and written instructions.
- Apply first aid and artificial respiration.
- Use and care for the tools and equipment of the trade.
- Lift and carry fifty (50) pounds on occasions.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Tolerate changes in outside temperature from winter to summer and to tolerate dust, pollen, wind and rain.
- Work in confined areas, such as underground vaults and manholes, for extended periods of time.
- Hear and see at a level sufficient to perform the duties of the position.
- Work flexible hours.
Graduation from high school or GED required.
Completion of an apprenticeship program resulting in recognition as a journeyman status line attendant. Electric Utility experience preferred.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Possession of a valid Class A California Driver’s License. (This position is subject to the United States Department of Transportation and Federal Highway Administration regulations relating to controlled substance and alcohol use and testing.)
- Current CPR card. Proof of Confined Space, First Responder Haz-Mat, Flagging Traffic Control, and Pole Top Bucket Rescue training.
- Possession of High Voltage Electrical Rubber Gloving Certification, or ability to obtain within sixty (60) days from date of hire, subject to the City providing said training within that timeframe.
All Linepersons shall be expected, within six months of hire, to establish residence allowing response to the Corporation Yard within 35 minutes of notification to report.
How to Apply:
Applications are available at the City of Ukiah, 300 Seminary Avenue, Ukiah, CA, (707) 463-6272 or they may be downloaded at www.cityofukiah.com/jobs. Applications must be filled out completely and received by the Human Resources Department at 5:00 p.m. on the final filing date. Applications will be reviewed by a screening committee and those applicants who appear to be among the best qualified will be selected for the examination process. This process may include a variety of techniques designed to test applicants’ knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties and responsibilities of the job. An Eligibility list will be established by ranking candidates by their overall score and a selection will be made from the candidates on this list. All employment offers are subject to a City-paid physical examination and a thorough reference and background check.
Posting End Date: April 30, 2016