Company Name: City of Tacoma
Phone Number: (253) 591-5400
Job Title: Line Engineer
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: June 16, 2017
Salary: $77,563.20 - $99,424.00
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power’s Transmission and Distribution Line Engineering group is seeking an engineer to work in the area of joint use/joint pole attachments, evaluating and responding to pole attachment requests. This position will also perform traditional distribution engineering functions that may include pole line relocations and upgrades as well as underground distribution work.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Perform detailed load analysis and develop structural loading models of in-service power poles and structures, both distribution and transmission class (predominantly wood) poles, by applying engineering methods and judgment. Calculate additional impacts created by proposed new or additional communications installations.
- Apply and interpret safety codes and laws as they pertain to utility pole installations for strength and operational needs.
- Work collaboratively with and direct others to verify and validate customer provided data.
- Verify the completeness and accuracy of the request as it relates to Tacoma Power records.
- Perform field reviews to include compatibility of the proposed changes and additions with existing Tacoma Power infrastructure.
- Perform or direct others to gather field measurements.
- Apply knowledge of transmission and distribution line construction practices and materials to assure proper materials are utilized.
- Lead/collaborate with Construction and Maintenance field staff to prepare make-ready estimates.
- Correspond with and provide make-ready estimates to applicants; articulate rationale for the required work.
- Create make-ready construction packages for T&D line impacts.
- Coordinate/manage make-ready work in the field as necessary, including field staking, layout of locate areas, and coordination with various construction personnel.
- Perform as-built inspections following customer installations.
- Provide input and guidance for the management of unallocated communication zone space on jointly used poles.
- Design power line relocations required to support development and road improvements. This may include transmission or overhead and underground distribution.
- Perform economic analysis for project proposals.
- Develop technical specifications for construction and materials.
- Establish and/or administer consulting contracts and direct related efforts.
- Represent Tacoma Power interests in meetings with external customers.
- Perform design and engineering functions for capital projects.
- Four year degree from an accredited college or university in electrical engineering; other degrees considered with relevant experience.
- Washington State Professional Engineer License is desired.
- Experience with pole/line modeling software is desired.
- To be considered at the top of the range a minimum of three years experience in a relevant field is required.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Demonstrated knowledge of transmission and distribution line work
- Experience with pole and line modeling software: O-Calc Pro, PLS-CADD, PLS-POLE, Sag10, or similar
- Experience in direct work/interface with field personnel (Line crews)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should apply online and attach a detailed resume and cover letter that highlights job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of the department may be invited to participate in one or more interviews. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and appointment is subject to passing a background check. A valid driver’s license with maintenance thereafter is a condition of employment.
If you have any additional questions regarding this position, please contact the Human Resources office at (253) 591-5400 before the closing date of the job announcement.
Posting End Date: July 14, 2017