Website Lakeview Light & Power
Lakeview Light & Power (Lakewood, WA) is seeking a highly qualified candidate for Operations Superintendent, who will manage the operations functions for the cooperative utility and oversight of multiple teams. The position is full-time and is salary exempt. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, PTO, short- and long-term disability, Life, company vehicle and generous 401k employer contribution.
About Lakeview Light & Power:
Lakeview Light & Power (LLP) is one of three electric distribution utilities serving Lakewood, WA, and adjoining areas of unincorporated Pierce County. LLP was incorporated on March 21, 1922, as a mutual non-profit company for the purpose of obtaining electric service for its members. This corporation was formed because of a few forward-looking families who wanted to make things better for their community. Today Lakeview has more than 2,800 members and serves over 10,300 meters. Lakeview Light & Power continues the commitment of its founders to serve its members at the lowest possible cost by means of a reliable electrical distribution system.
The following summary of duties and responsibilities described is not a comprehensive list, and additional tasks may be assigned to an employee in this role. Additionally, the scope of the position may change from time to time or as necessitated by business demands.
General Statement of Duties:
The Operations Superintendent is responsible for overseeing the electric distribution system’s operation, maintenance, and routine construction work. The Operation Superintendent will supervise, plan, and coordinate the activities of the electric distribution operations staff; coordinate electric distribution activities with other departments, outside agencies, and the general public; administer annual operations maintenance and capital budgets; champion a culture of safety; address member service inquiries; and works closely with the Executive Leadership Team and LLP Board of Directors to execute both annual and strategic goals.
The Operations Superintendent shall function with a high degree of independence and utilize sound professional judgment, demonstrate planning and organizational skills, and establish priorities, programs, and acceptable performance levels for his/her functional area. The Operations Superintendent shall demonstrate leadership, management, and technical skills through effective communication and collaboration, proper use of team resources, progressive decision making, personal accountability, and responsibility. The Operations Superintendent is part of the Executive Leadership Team, including the General Manager and Chief Financial Officer.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
Equivalence of a ‘bachelor’s degree in Business Administration from an accredited four-year college or university is preferred, supplemented with electrical engineering or construction. Seven (7) or more years of electric utility experience with a Line or Meter Journeyman Certification may be substituted for the education requirement. The position requires a valid Washington ‘driver’s license, background check, driving record review, post-offer drug test, and pre-employment physical. WA CDL with Class A endorsement is optional.
The Operations Superintendent reports to the General Manager and supervises all employees under Operations and Maintenance.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform complex administrative work in supervising and directing the electric utility distribution of Lakeview Light & Power in all phases of planning, construction, operations, mapping, and maintenance of the electric distribution system and related components, facilities, and safety.
- Meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities and projects; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures.
- Coordinate the daily operations activities, including planning, scheduling, and preparing work orders.
- Facilitate the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities; identify resource needs; recommend and implement policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the planning and designing overhead and underground electric distribution systems, including one-line drawings and lists of materials.
- Coordinate and manage all utility line clearance and other related vegetation management explicitly related to the electric distribution system.
- Coordinate and communicate emergency response activities for system outages/events: schedule and coordinate standby personnel rotations for division. Remain available for assistance with emergency operations.
- Coordinate and manage the preventative, scheduled maintenance requirements for division facilities, equipment, vehicles, tools, etc.
- Coordinate and communicate with engineers, contractors, and residents to understand the construction standards required for connecting new or upgraded facilities to the electrical distribution systems.
- Responsible for seeking quotes and issuing purchase orders for procurement of materials, equipment, tools, etc., necessary for the operation and maintenance of the electric distribution system.
- Oversees materials inventory personnel, function, systems, and accuracy.
- Responsible for diagnosing, evaluating, and implementing corrective action to remedy problems related to distribution operation.
- Review project plans and drawings with supervisors and other staff as appropriate; recommend changes based on field observations and operations requirements; provide technical advice and assistance on complex work problems.
- Perform regular reviews of field operations and equipment; plan for upgrades, replacement, and repairs on electric distribution lines and related systems and equipment, as well as preparing bid specifications for the purchase of distribution equipment and capital projects.
- Participate in the development and administration of the electric distribution operations and capital budgets; forecast additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; recommend adjustments and necessary.
- Manage physical security of offices, SCADA, and substations; partner with CFO on cybersecurity of SCADA, substation, and other operational systems.
- Oversee all records associated with the operations and maintenance, including, but not limited to, distribution mapping, easements, franchise agreements, permits, and contracts.
- Communicate verbally and in writing with outside engineering firms, electrical contractors, governmental agencies, suppliers, manufacturers, etc.
- Respond to customer inquiries or complaints associated with operations of Lakeview Light and Power.
- Provide oversight for the Safety Committee, monthly safety meetings, and promote continuous improvement of the ‘company’s safety culture.
- Effectively maintain positive and responsive public relations with the members, co-workers, and subordinates using an appropriate depth of judgment to balance technical and operational demands with responsive concerns for public service.
- Attend and participate in staff (and other) meetings; stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of electric power distribution.
- Ensure compliance with all safety and utility policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Coach, train, and develop employees; and perform succession planning. Prepare employee performance evaluations and direct professional development of staff.
- Manage the recruitment and hiring of operations and maintenance personnel.
- Serves as primary point of contact for all utility emergency situations and outages.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general theory, practice, work methods, and procedures of electrical power distribution system design, construction, and maintenance; knowledge of equipment and materials used for electric distribution system construction and repair work.
- Knowledge of electric transmission and distribution system.
- Knowledge of pertinent Federal, State, and local laws, codes, and regulations related to electric distribution.
- Knowledge of essential management techniques, with the ability to supervise, train, discipline, evaluate, prioritize, and assign division work for assigned staff.
- Well-organized to administer multiple activities.
- Excellent leadership, communications, math and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of overall electric utility operations and scheduling; knowledge of all safety rules as stated in the adopted safety manual.
- Knowledge of safe work practices of working with electricity.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of work.
- Familiarity and experience with MS Office applications (primarily Word and Excel)
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Ability to estimate job and damage costs.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to remain available, as required, to handle unusual or emergency situations.
- Ability to tactfully respond to citizen inquiries and complaints.
To apply for this job please visit lakeviewlight.com.