Website Kootenai Electric Cooperative
This position will remain open through June 11, 2023.
Provides courteous, professional, and exceptional service to the members and employees of Kootenai Electric Cooperative. Processes member change of accounts, final accounts, payment posting, new memberships, and member inquiries. Provides service to new and existing members to establish new service. Performs billing, credit and collections functions.
- Safety: Adhere to all workplace and trade safety laws, regulations, standards, rules, and practices. Use of Personal Protective Equipment as required. Take individual responsibility in managing safety risks and reporting unsafe conditions or unsafe work practices. Respond positively to safety-oriented feedback. Contribute to a culture of safety.
- Quality of Work: Produce thorough, high quality work with minimal errors. Seek feedback, make corrections as needed. Identify problems and solve them. Strive to improve processes. Work collaboratively with team members to implement systemic changes.
- Productivity: Complete assigned work in a timely fashion. Utilize slow periods productively. Produce amount and volume expected, at accepted speed.
- Technical Skills/Job Knowledge: Demonstrate appropriate level of understanding of technical skills in area of expertise, technology, products, and/or processes involved. Perform assigned duties. Keep current on changes. Competent with all technology and industry best practices necessary to perform job. Maintains necessary certification(s).
- Communication: Oral and written communication clearly convey information. Keep others informed of activities and problems in timely manner. Listen well. Respond appropriately and respectfully.
- Teamwork/Ability to Work With Others: Demonstrate ability to work in positive manner with co-workers and/or customers with differing backgrounds, opinions, capabilities, etc. Willingly share skills, competencies, and knowledge with others. Establish and maintain strong, effective working relationships. Contribute effectively to group efforts. Promote harmony. Agree to disagree without damaging relationships.
- Accountability: Maintain excellent attendance and punctuality. Arrive on-time and be prepared to work. Accept responsibility for work and actions. Be reliable.
- Integrity: Demonstrate honesty, high ethical standards, and respect for all team members, co-workers, and KEC members.
- Professionalism: Always address internal and external customers with courtesy and respect. Dress in work attire appropriate to the position. Communicate business information in timely fashion, using means of communication appropriate to the situation.
- Support of Cooperative Goals, Policies, and Procedures: Support Cooperative goals. Adhere to all Cooperative policies and procedures. Understand that internal customer and external member focus is always top priority. Contribute effectively in support of that priority.
- Problem-Solving: Use sound logic and methodology to solve problems. Explore multiple sources for answers, as required. Able to identify hidden problems. Propose solutions.
Job Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Provides member and visitor reception and direct inquiries to proper KEC department.
- Processes payments and product sales.
- Answers routine inquiries related to KEC member services. May contact members by phone as required.
- Explains KEC policies and procedures.
- Performs computer data entry and updates member information.
- Completes and files service orders.
- Ensures confidentiality and proper handling of all member information.
- Processes mail and electronic payments.
Member Service Representatives will have the opportunity to train and become responsible for performance of the following duties in the categories indicated. May be assigned greater emphasis in some categories than in others with responsibilities being shared by all Member Service Representatives.
- Member Service:
- Answers phones, directs calls, and takes messages. Contacts members by phone.
- Assists members face to face in the office.
- Ensures confidentiality of member records.
- Responds to inquiries related to KEC services, billing, power usage/consumption, rates, policies, and member privileges.
- Processes payments; assists members with payment arrangements; ensures proper handling of account transfers and membership data. Processes new memberships and accounts and account closures; audits new accounts for previous bad debt and verifies previous memberships; obtains landlord and owner information; coordinates credit-related actions due to service disconnects; maintains member contact information; prepares disconnect and/or reconnect service requests, processes appropriate charges/fees on member accounts, if applicable.
- Processes and posts payments received by mail.
- Assists members with capital credit account retirement and allocation information.
- Assists members in identifying ways to reduce electric consumption.
- Assists members with online account setup and provides support with access, changes, navigation, and troubleshooting when necessary.
- May assist with basic energy services questions and/or direct members to KEC’s energy services consultant.
- New Services:
- Provides new and existing members with information about new service, procedures, and requirements; exchanges new service information with contractors, electricians, and city/county offices, as required.
- Prepares and handles various paperwork, and explains requirements, relating to members’ applications for new service and modifications to existing service; verifies proper easements and processes permits; generates service order tracking and updates system; performs data entry; coordinates with other departments for planning and scheduling; processes line extension payments; verifies property ownership; provides notary services.
- Processes adjustments to bills covering payments, usage/consumption, and rates, if applicable.
- Posts meter readings to member accounts; processes various reports, checking for accuracy of usage and bills; runs billing processes to create billing statements.
- Processes various forms of payments and processes nonsufficient fund checks.
- Assists Accounting in preparing various monthly, quarterly, and annual reports for cities, counties, and state regarding usage and revenue.
- Creates service orders for operations staff to check, test, and replace meters, when necessary.
- Credit and Collections:
- Processes write-offs and works closely with collection agencies on account collections; prepares reports on delinquent accounts; prepares collection letters; processes bankruptcies; assists members with payment arrangements and applications for assistance through energy help agencies.
- Creates service orders to dispatch a serviceman to disconnect service or to install remote meters.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Graduation from high school, or attainment of high school GED.
- Six months or more experience in a customer service role or position.
- Experience with computers and software.
- Experience with general office practices, procedures, and machines, including ten-key adding machine, telephone, copy and fax machines, calculators, and computer peripheral devices.
- Experience with office telephone procedures.
- Previous cash handling experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of or ability to learn and adhere to Cooperative policies and procedures.
- Excellent people skills, including communication, diplomacy, interpersonal relations, and conflict management.
- Ability to deal with the public in difficult situations.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Organization skills, including attention to detail and accuracy.
- Experience with general office practices and procedures, use of various office machines including telephone, copying equipment, fax machines, and adding machines/calculators.
- Professional appearance and attitude.
- Excellent mathematical skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic bookkeeping.
- Team player – able to work effectively with others in a teamwork environment.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and apply departmental processes and procedures.
- Mental Demands:
- Strong interpersonal skills and behavior. Ability to handle delicate situations with exceptional diplomacy. Ability to deal calmly, professionally, and tactfully with difficult people, including members who may be angry, abusive, and/or threatening. Ability to defuse difficult, sometimes hostile, situations.
- Copying, transcribing, entering, analyzing, or posting data with member accounts and their bill. Must be able to maintain accuracy and confidentiality with data.
- Ability to meet time deadlines and complete tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Ability to work with law enforcement agencies and maintain confidentiality regarding information.
- Ability to work independently with minimal guidance and supervision.
- Ability to manage diverse work functions while balancing and adjusting priorities in accordance with changing requirements.
- Flexibility to respond quickly and effectively under time pressure.
- Working Conditions/Hazards
- Comfortable surroundings – primarily office environment.
- Normally a 40-hour work week.
- Use of office machines, including telephone, computer monitor, keyboard, mouse, and related peripherals.
- Travel may be required.
Interested candidates must complete a KEC employment application at www.kec.com. This position will remain open through June 11, 2023.
Kootenai Electric Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their disability or protected veteran status.
To apply for this job please visit www.kec.com.