We are a Public Utility District serving a rural community with residential and commercial utility needs. We are seeking a highly qualified Engineer to take responsibility for the design and implementation of distribution projects to our customers and the continued maintenance of the Districts’ infrastructure. In this role, you will manage assigned projects from start to finish, including the design, estimates, construction and interconnection to our system. This position requires a thorough knowledge of electrical distribution systems and the regulations and safety practices required for construction and maintenance
Accountable for supervising designated employees in the Engineering Department. Responsible for knowing, understanding and following the directives, policies and procedures of the District and formally addressing performance or behavior concerns of employees in a timely manner.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the District’s mission to serve our customers and foster a positive workplace by personally choosing behavior aligned with our values and ethical code.
- Collaborate with team members in an open communication culture, providing support in various disciplines as needed.
- Exhibits and practices support for management decisions.
- Engineer projects that will maintain and support the District’s reliable system by designing and creating detailed drawings, specifications and cost estimates for residential and commercial power distribution extensions, replacements, additions and relocations; including substation, sub-transmission and distribution facilities to approved standards.
- Develop and maintain standards of construction (i.e. assembly units and typical drawings)
- Coordinate with Operations personnel to schedule and manage Capital projects, works in progress for policy effectiveness, efficiency and compliance.
- Supervise, train, instruct and oversee daily work of GIS Mapping, Staking and Estimating personnel.
- Update and maintain Districts engineering model, currently WindMil.
- Oversee all the daily paperwork and procedures of the engineering department; including time sheets, staking sheets, switching orders and all “as-built” work and service orders.
- Support operations by occasionally providing oversight and inspection of District personnel and contractor work and other tasks as needed.
- Understand District rates and metering requirements to ensure proper set-up for new and altered services.
- Keep informed of current trends and technology in areas of responsibility and apply to assigned functional area of responsibility.
- Ensure utility compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Coordinate with all local, state and federal agencies and other District departments to procure and maintain right of way, crossing permits and franchises and ensure they are valid and current.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for Engineering Consultants preparing complex design work (i.e. Substation Design, Sectionalizing and coordination studies, 20-year System Study)
- Prepare staff and board reports as required.
- Serves the needs of Customers, Vendors, Contractors and other Utilities as needed.
- Represent the District in related professional organizations as appropriate.
- Must meet reasonable deadlines, quotas or demands for accuracy and/or may be involved in some mildly unpleasant situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- MS Office 365, (Cloud based platform)
- ANSI, IEEE, NESC, NEC and WAC standards
- ESRI – GIS software preferred (Currently using Futura GIS)
- Modeling software (Currently using WindMil – Milsoft Utility Solutions)
- System protection coordination, voltage control, and system operating concepts. (Currently using NOVA reclosers, SEL relays, S&C Switches, Siemens regulators, Itron meters)
- Transmission, substation and distribution design standards and concepts
- Material and contract labor procurement (WA State bid law experience preferred)
- Project management, including budgeting and cost estimates
- Demonstrated ability to exercise high level of diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Effective communications, ability to clearly articulate verbally and in writing and listen to others. Ability to maintain a calm discussion with an upset or disgruntle customer.
- Extraordinary time management skills, coupled with honesty, trustworthiness, and respectfulness.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with fellow employees, other agencies, elected officials, and the public.
- Supervisor experience preferred
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS in Electrical Engineering required; prefer emphasis in Power Distribution
- 5 years’ experience in Electrical Distribution; prefer Public Utility experience
- Degree in related field with 8-10 years’ experience in electrical engineering and power distribution for Public Utility
Licensing or Certifications:
- Prefer Washington State Professional Engineer License in Electrical Engineering.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification or obtain within 12 months of hire
To apply for this job please visit careers.archbright.com.