Company Name: Peninsula Light Company
Phone Number: (253) 857-1504
City: Gig Harbor
Job Title: Journeyman Lineman
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: September 29, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Peninsula Light Company, a mutual co-op power utility, is seeking a qualified individual to fill the position of Journeyman Lineman. This non-exempt position performs assigned work related to the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead and underground electric transmission and distribution systems and related equipment. The position will work on energized or non-energized power lines, cables and equipment. May be required to work night shift. Pay $41.96 per hour. PenLight offers a generous benefit package and retirement plans. Excellent community location in lovely Gig Harbor, WA.
This position is represented by IBEW local 483.
This is a non-supervisory position.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Installs, maintains and repairs cable, conduit, vaults, enclosures, and transformers. Performs switching, locating, hi-potting and testing, fault finding, exposing, splicing, and terminating of URD cables.
- Operates man-lifts, differ derrick, wire pullers, air compressor and other utility vehicles, power tools and hand tools associated with the electrical line trade.
- Loads, unloads, frames, and sets or removes poles. Installs or removes lightning arresters, terminators, cutouts, transformers, capacitors, reclosers, sectionalizers, regulators, and/or other protective devices. Transfers, installs and removes conductor guys and risers, street lights and other equipment used in the construction, maintenance and repair of overhead transmission and distribution lines.
- Operates and installs switches, tags and grounds on transmission and distribution circuits and loads. Locates trouble in primary and secondary lines or cables and repairs to restore service.
- Cleans, stocks and loads vehicles. Inspects vehicles and performs minor repair and maintenance, or requests follow-up repair work.
- Performs pole top, bucket and vault rescue when necessary.
- Tree Trimming: Removes and/or trims trees near or on energized or de-energized lines or equipment.
- Operates, installs, removes, and maintains equipment as required. Installs and removes meters, CT’s and PT’s as required.
- Maintains regular and predictable attendance.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of substations, protective systems, transmission, and distribution systems for residential, commercial and industrial customers;
- Knowledge of practices, methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the electrical trade (including overhead and underground systems).
- Knowledge of electrical theory and principles related to power transmission and distribution systems and ability to read and interpret system maps, work sketches and circuit diagrams.
- Knowledge of applicable laws, codes, regulations, Washington State Electrical Workers’ Safety Rules (WAC 296-45), policies and procedures, as well as Company line construction and maintenance standards;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions for this type of work.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to maintain interpersonal skills including tact, patience and courtesy with fellow employees.
- The ability to courteously and effectively deal with customer complaints, service questions or problems is necessary
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Individual assigned to this position will work in field conditions under potentially adverse weather situations. Must have the ability to climb poles, including conducting a pole top rescue if necessary. During system emergencies, individual is expected to work extended out-of-routine hours. Position requires lifting up to 75 pounds, climbing, pushing, and pulling. An employee in this position may be exposed to hazardous materials, substances or circumstances.
A high school diploma or G.E.D. is required, plus the successful completion of an approved journey level power lineworker apprenticeship program, including course work in electricity, mathematics and mechanical fundamentals pertaining to line and substation construction. Individual must possess a currently valid Class-A commercial driver’s license. A CPR certification, flagging, and first aid card is required within 30 days of employment. Must be willing to be available and responsive to emergency call-outs.
How to Apply:
- Visit penlight.org/jobs
- Click “View Job Opportunities”
- Select desired job title
- Create an online profile and complete application
Posting End Date: October 29, 2016