Vacancy Announcement — Journeyman Lineman
Company: Northern Wasco County People’s Utility District (NWCPUD)
Location: The Dalles, Oregon
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled; First review of applicants to be completed on 12/4/17
Candidates selected for interview will be required to:
- Complete a written test on basic line work knowledge.
- Complete a pole-top rescue according to Oregon safety and work practices, with required equipment.
General Position Summary:
Construct, repair, maintain, and replace transmission and distribution power lines between generating stations, substations, and customers, requiring use of precautionary work methods and safety equipment due to electrical hazards present when working on or near energized conductors and electrical accessories.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
It is essential for all employees to adhere to Northern Wasco County PUD policies, procedures, and workplace behavior expectations.
- Install and connect both underground and overhead single and multi-phase poles, pole hardware, line equipment, and such auxiliary equipment as transformers, lighting arresters, switches, fuses, and insulators, using hand tools and following diagrams furnished by the PUD.
- Install or remove broken or defective conductors, insulators, cross arms, brackets, and other hardware by climbing poles or ride in bucket attached to truck mounted boom.
- String and secure new conductors to cross arm insulators and splice or affix wire to adjoining sections of line to complete circuit.
- Perform work on open switches or clamp grounding device to energized equipment or de-energized line or accessories as directed by supervisors. Connect and disconnect routine and nonpaying consumer account lines.
- Report all unsafe acts, accidents, or conditions to the Line Foreman or in their absence the Operations Supervisor.
- Suspend insulated ladders and platforms from pole cross arms, cover energized line with fiber guards to facilitate safe handling of high-voltage lines without interrupting service by power shutoff, and use long insulated poles (hot sticks) fitted with mechanically or hydraulically operated grasping and crimping tools.
- Patrol power lines and repair applicable situations or report situations that require engineering attention or other work forces or equipment
- Provide guidance and training to Apprentice Lineman.
- Trim trees as required to maintain power line clearance.
- Inspect work for quality in accordance with applicable specifications, and codes.
- Complete all required documentation on paper and/or electronically.
- Maintain working knowledge of the most up-to-date an effective techniques of first aid and CPR, including pole-top rescue per OSHA requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job. A job description is a summary of the essential and anticipated additional functions of a job and does not represent an all-inclusive list of tasks or procedures.
This position frequently reports and/or carries out a prescribed action in relation to information.
This position involves talking with and and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information, and includes giving assignments and or directions to apprentices.
All NWCPUD hourly employees are expected to work widely varying amounts of unscheduled overtime during power restoration activities or scheduled overtime required to accomplish special projects. Such overtime could range from working a normal 8 hour workday to 24 to 36 hours of continuous work during storm outages. Employees will be compensated at appropriate rates for such time worked as specified in the collective bargaining agreement with local 125 IBEW.
All PUD employees are expected to work outside of normal business hours when required during emergency restoration activities and to accomplish other special projects.
Northern Wasco County PUD reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contact of employment.
Note: The Journeyman Lineman title is used only in the generic sense and is meant to include both males and females.
NWCPUD is located in a recreational area providing: water sports, fishing, bicycling, skiing, camping, hunting, artisan shopping, hiking all within short traveling distance.