Company Name: Alaska Village Electric Cooperative
Phone Number: (907) 561-1818
Job Title: Information Technology System Administrator
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Information Technology / IS and Application Support
Posting Start Date: November 11, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 8
Work Time Type: Hours
Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc. has an opening for an IT System Administrator at its Anchorage, Alaska Headquarters. This position is responsible for the design, installation, configuration, administration and system security of a multi-platform computing environment. Environment includes Microsoft Windows, Active Directory, IBM AS/400, Microsoft Exchange, IP Telephony systems and associated routers, switches and protocols, LAN/WAN, VMWARE, wireless technologies, and mobile computing.
- Maintain operating efficiency and stability, ensuring the security of the company’s core production server systems and information systems infrastructure.
- Design the standards of system architecture for data and voice communications.
- Responsible for backup of data, including automatic backup routines, testing data integrity and offsite storage of media.
- Responsible for creating, securing and production of all network, system, security and user documentation.
- Manage email, DNS, DHCP, DFS, file access, application and/or other systems and services as necessary.
- Enforce company’s Electronic Communications policies and procedures.
- Provide after-hours support as needed.
- Responsible for group, user and desktop support for the company. Assistance provided for remote field employees or locations as required.
- Responsible for inventory, maintenance and licensing of all Information Systems equipment or software.
- Monitor system logs and activity on all servers and devices for the LAN/WAN.
- May lead or guide the work of other staff engaged in similar functions.
- Coordinate with department managers to plan, design and schedule the release of all software, hardware or operating system updates.
- Advise and assist with developing and maintaining policies and procedures related to electronic equipment.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Business Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent.
Preferred: MCSE, CCNA, CCNP or other related certifications are highly preferred.
Experience: Five (5) Years of similarly complex experience, with at least two (2) years of leadership or supervisory experience.
Areas of Experience: Experience with similarly complex systems and responsibilities successfully managing network design and capacity planning, managing software and hardware contracts, licensing and associated warranties, maintaining operating efficiency and stability in a secure and compliant environment. Experience providing group, user and desktop support and training as required by the Cooperative and department managers. Maintain and managing the backup of data and integrity of offsite storage of such backups. Extensive knowledge of DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP protocols, routing and VoIP technologies. Experience in routine server and security audits. Experience working with third party vendors regarding implementation and maintenance of integrated software, hardware and infrastructure.
High School Diploma plus 15 years of directly related experience in a similarly complex IT position, with at least 2 years of supervisory experience can substitute for the Bachelor’s Degree in Business Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent specification requirement.
AA/Two year Degree in Business Information System, computer Science or equivalent plus 10 years of directly related experience in a similarly complex IT position, with at least 2 years of supervisory experience can substitute for the Bachelor’s Degree in Business Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent specification requirement.
Skills & Competencies Required:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Understands technical aspects of one’s job and continuously builds knowledge, keeping up-to-date on the technical or procedural aspects of the job
- Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace
- Works to improve and reinforce performance of others and systems
- Maintains awareness of broad, longer-term objectives and works to ensure that all parties share awareness while keeping solutions
- Advanced Knowledge of VMWARE
- Network design and capacity planning skills
- Records and documentation management
- Power User in Microsoft Office programs, including the ability to train users
- Excellent communication skills; ability to communicate clearly and accurately orally and in writing
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to establish trust and credibility internally and externally
- Adapts to change quickly and easily
- Professionalism and ability to adapt in diverse environment to maintain a positive work environment
- Works to build a sense of common purpose across all work groups, avoiding a “we versus them” attitude
- Knowledge of IT security regulations and appropriate measures to ensure compliance and reduce risk
- Skills required to interpret laws and regulations and to formulate compliance policies and practices
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent planning, organizing, and prioritizing skills
- High-degree of flexibility to meet multiple and changing priorities
Other: At least 18 years of age
Available for after-hours work
Protection of confidential information
How to Apply:
AVEC provides a full NRECA benefit package and a competitive salary. Standard pre-employment drug and alcohol screening as well as a background check are required.
Interested applicants must submit a completed application to Alaska Village Electric Cooperative, Inc., 4831 Eagle Street, Anchorage, AK 99503-7497.
To download AVEC’s Employment Application go to our website: www.avec.org
This position is open until filled.
AVEC IS an EOE.
Posting End Date: December 16, 2016