Company Name: City of Tacoma
Phone Number: (253) 591-5400
Job Title: Hydro Utility Worker
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Hydro Services
Posting Start Date: February 16, 2018
Salary: $29.00 - $33.57
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Tacoma Power is accepting applications for Utility Workers at hydroelectric power generation facilities on the Cowlitz and Nisqually rivers. This is semi-skilled labor involving a wide variety of tasks related to the maintenance, repair and operation of hydroelectric plant facilities, recreational facilities and fish hatchery operations. Some duties require a degree of mechanical aptitude and an employee must be willing and able to perform heavy manual labor under all types of weather conditions.
Employees must be able to report within 30 minutes during emergency call outs.
Employees may be assigned to a rotating shift schedule and must be able to work independently and as a team member. Work is strenuous and includes bending, standing, climbing and lifting heavy loads.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license and one of the following:
- Completion of an electrical or industrial arts program from a community or vocational college and six-months of experience in semi-skilled manual labor in the construction trades, including operation and maintenance of industrial equipment and vehicles.
- Two-years of experience in semi-skilled manual labor in the construction trades, including operation and maintenance of industrial equipment and vehicles
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Maintain and repair facilities, roads, equipment and operational machinery
- Assist journey level personnel in the performance of their assignments
- Maintain grounds, roadways and right-of-ways by mowing lawns, trimming and pruning hedges, trees and shrubs, felling trees, rigging of equipment, bucking downed trees, cutting brush and removing debris
- Perform custodial tasks in buildings and yards
- Operate various assigned vehicles, heavy equipment, work boats, project equipment, powered and non-powered hand tools
- Perform carpentry, plumbing, light metal fabrication and incidental non-certified welding
- Lubricate heavy machinery and equipment; check oil levels and bearings and clean oil system filters
- Read and record generation and switchyard instrumentation
- Perform vehicle maintenance
- Work safely and cooperatively with co-workers and the public
How to Apply:
Interested individuals should complete the online application. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to a multiple choice exam. You must pass all portions of the exam in order to be placed on the eligible list for interview and hiring consideration. Once the eligible list is established, candidates invited to an interview may be required to perform a practical demonstration of maintenance knowledge and skills.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT:
Posting End Date: March 2, 2018