Company Name: Consumers Power, Inc.
Phone Number: (541) 929-8502
Job Title: “Hot” Apprentice Lineman
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Operations
Posting Start Date: June 6, 2016
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 4x10
Work Time Type: Days
Full “HOT” work with energized conductors over 600 V with a journeyman. Upon successful completion of the Apprenticeship Program, performs overhead and underground electric line construction and maintenance, as well as the operation and maintenance of equipment under the direction of a Line Foreman. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, driving trucks, operating equipment, loading and unloading material, climbing poles, working from aerial man-lift devices.
- Performs overhead and underground electric line construction and maintenance, and operation and maintenance of equipment under the direction of assigned Line Foreman.
- Installs, operates and maintains overhead and underground facilities according to CPI standards and the NESC.
- Uses electric line construction equipment to include, but not limited to, stringing equipment, backhoes, derrick diggers, material handlers and trucks.
- Efficiently and safely performs line work on a pole or in a bucket truck.
- Troubleshoots electric transmission, distribution and customer service problems as part of a crew.
- Performs electrical “hot” work under the direct supervision of a journeyman.
- Loads and unloads material.
- Possesses and displays a working knowledge of work rules and safety practices.
- Responds with sound judgment to unusual and hazardous circumstances.
- Maintains responsibility for verifying the condition of all vehicles, equipment and tools provided for use in the performance of work.
- Represents CPI in a manner conducive to good public relations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Scope of Responsibility:
- This position has no supervisory responsibility.
- The nature of the work requires that the individual is able to respond for after-hours call out, arriving to the shop within 30 minutes.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
- Applicant must enrolled and in good standing in a recognized Journeyman Lineman Apprenticeship program.
- Valid Oregon State Driver’s License w/CDL Class A endorsement with a good driving and safety record
- Must obtain Journeyman Lineman Card upon completion of Apprenticeship Program
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in the proper use and care of tools and equipment used in power line construction and maintenance.
- Good interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with co-workers, other Co-op employees, contractors, and the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships and perform as a productive team member.
- Ability to deal with stress and make decisions quickly and calmly especially in times of emergency.
- Ability to accept and adapt to change.
- Honest, ethical, loyal, respectful and accountable for one’s actions.
- Must have demonstrated ability to be punctual and regular in attendance.
- Machines, tools, equipment, products and material used in line construction and maintenance (e.g. power/hand tools, tools, jack hammers, chainsaws, hydraulic tree trimming saws, hydraulic tamps, rakes, aerial man lifts, trucks, hot sticks, forklift, material handler, truck winch, shoring, ATV, boat, snow cat, backhoe, mobile substation, cable thumper and radar, and wire stringing equipment, poles, crossarms, wire, bolts, electrical apparatus meters, etc.)
- Operates portable, mobile and base station two-way radios.
- Subject to outside weather/driving conditions. Performs a variety of strenuous tasks outside with temperatures varying from below zero to over 100 degrees, sometimes in rainy, windy, snowy, or icy conditions.
- Works around high voltage wires, using hot sticks and insulated rubber gloves when appropriate.
- Exposed to noise from traffic, construction equipment, jack hammers, hydraulic saws and tamps, chippers, etc. for up to four hours per day.
- Works in confined spaces, such as underground vaults requiring entry though a manhole.
- Works in ditches up to 60 inches deep and 24 inches wide when laying underground wire.
- Exposed to chemicals used to treat poles primarily through skin contact, or inhaling wood dust after drilling. Exposures may include creosote, pentachlorophenol or chemonite.
- Exposed to solvents and citrus based cleaners used to clean underground cables before splicing. This is often done in the ditch.
- Exposed to silica-based paints and some mineral oils while painting transformers or other equipment.
- Exposed to numerous types of pollen, depending upon location, season or climatic conditions. May also be exposed to bee/wasp stings, animal bites, or poison oak.
- Regular work hours are 4×10, Mon – Thurs 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Requires work hours in excess of 10 hours per day, 4 days per week and responds to after-hours call-out, day or night, in all weather conditions.
- Alertness and concentration necessary at all times, including day/night, inclement weather, and storm situations involving long hours of work.
- Requires far and near visual acuity, peripheral vision, color vision, depth perception, and night vision.
- Hearing and speech requirements such that you can hear and be heard if working on top of 45 foot pole or 100 feet away from a co-worker, despite heavy background noise.
- Frequently lifts/carries up to 75 lbs and occasionally up to 100 lbs.
- Changes position frequently and works in awkward positions.
- Required to stand for extended periods of time, sit while driving and/or attending meetings, and walk on uneven ground in all types of terrain.
- Required to push, pull, twist, reach and use finger dexterity to grip/handle tools, equipment controls, etc.
- Climbs in and out of buckets of aerial man-lift with tool belt, materials and equipment.
- Work entails regular entering/exiting of vehicle, in all driving conditions.
- Subject to outside weather/driving condition.
How to Apply:
We are looking for a “Hot Apprentice Lineman” (5th step or higher).
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 p.m. July 6th or via FAX (541)929-8501
Consumers Power Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified persons including disabled and Veterans, women, racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and persons of all ages to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, please call (541) 929-8502.
Posting End Date: July 6, 2016