Website Hood River Electric Cooperative
Hood River Electric Cooperative (HREC) is looking for a Controller to join our team.
Salary: DOE – $75,000 – $125,000, depending on education and experience
Posted: March 23, 2021
Open until filled; first review of applications will be April 9, 2021
Do you have an accounting background and love having a lot of variety in your duties at work? HREC’s Controller position is worth a look! Our team of 18 employees provides affordable, reliable electric & internet service in the beautiful upper Hood River Valley. Our longtime Office Manager is retiring soon and we are looking for her replacement. She’ll be available to help train you on this key role, and we have great support and training resources from our enterprise system vendor too. We know this job description might look a bit daunting, especially if you are working in a larger organization where duties are more specialized, but we promise you it’s do-able and you’ll be well supported. If you have solid accounting skills and great attention to detail, and you love to serve your community, we encourage you to apply.
Your New Role: Controller
As our new Controller, you will be responsible for all matters regarding general accounting, payroll, benefits, accounts payable, and promissory note sales, and for maintaining accurate records and accounts in compliance with FERC accounting requirements. Your duties will also include monthly and year-end close activities including preparing and recording journal entries, reconciling balances and bank statements, resolving discrepancies, and preparing monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
Everyone at HREC wears multiple hats, and this role will too. In addition to the areas listed above, you will handle budgets, forecasts, ad hoc financial analysis, and assist in the leadership of a great team.
For the Controller role, we are seeking someone who is self-motivated, resourceful and a problem solver, and is able to prioritize and manage a variety of duties and projects while supporting others in a team-oriented office environment.
Download the Controller Job Description.
Why this Job?
This is your chance to be a part of a member-focused, service-oriented co-op that provides reliable, affordable electric and internet service in the Hood River Valley. We have some great projects coming up including a fiber-to-the-home buildout and a new substation and transmission line. Our members appreciate us and our employees enjoy our fun, service-focused work environment . We have a friendly, close-knit team and enjoy living and working in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge.
Qualifications – Controller
- Five years of accounting experience including accounts payable, general ledger, month-end close, year-end close, quarterly/annual reporting, audit preparation, and/or payroll/benefits.
- Cooperative or utility accounting experience is desirable.
- Solid Excel skills are an added bonus.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting is desirable.
- -OR- Any combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the job.
How to Apply
- Download an HREC Employment Application.
- Open the application form in Adobe Reader.
- Fill in the application form with your information and save the file.
- Email your completed application, a cover letter, and any other supplemental materials such as your resume, certifications, or letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail them to us at the following address: Hood River Electric Coop. attn: Employment Opportunities, PO Box 125, Odell, OR 97044
- Qualified applicants will be invited for accounting/excel skills testing and interviews.
HREC has 18 employees who provide electric and internet service to our 3,600 members. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package including a defined contribution retirement plan, medical/dental/vision insurance, a healthcare reimbursement account, and generous vacation and sick leave. We have a team-oriented work environment and are focused on serving members reliably, affordably, and efficiently.
HREC’s service territory encompasses the middle and upper portions of the Hood River Valley in the Columbia River Gorge, including the unincorporated communities of Odell, Parkdale, and Mount Hood. The valley is bordered by the Columbia River to the north and by the Mt. Hood National Forest to the west, south, and east. The area is known for its tree fruit agriculture industry. Nearby outdoor recreation opportunities are abundant, including hiking, windsurfing, kiteboarding, skiing, mountain biking, whitewater sports, camping, and fishing.
To apply for this job please visit hrec.coop.