Website Homer Electric Association
Homer Electric Association (HEA) is a member-owned electric utility serving the central and southern areas of the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. We are excited to be recruiting for a Safety Coordinator to join the team. We truly believe in the cooperative values of integrity, accountability, innovation and commitment to community and a successful candidate will have an opportunity to directly impact these values.
The Safety Coordinator will plan and conduct the Cooperative’s safety program in accordance with established objectives, policies and plans of the Cooperative, while also conforming to established RUS, NRECA and National Electric Safety Code, standards, ensuring safe working conditions for all HEA employees. This position will also ensure that HEA remains compliant with all facets of OSHA Safety regulations.
This will be a salaried (exempt) position and will be based in either the Homer or Kenai HEA office location dependent on business needs and candidate preference.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain a strong program for the Cooperative which meets the safety accreditation standards of NRECA and other safety goals and directives.
- Develop and facilitate all systematic safety training for employees in accordance with Cooperative policies and other requirements.
- Review and investigate all accidents and prepare investigative reports and summaries.
- Maintain records as appropriate for all OSHA training and compliance requirements on an annual basis.
- Coordinate field inspections of tools, equipment, first-aid materials, and work practices to ensure compliance with Cooperative and industry standards.
- Administer the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) programs by assisting in the selection of appropriate products and the coordination of required maintenance and testing.
- Direct the development and maintenance of Fire Retardant (FR) clothing options to be used by employees in the selection of provided work-wear.
- Serve as HEA’s Emergency Planning Coordinator for the Emergency Response Plan (ERP). This function will require availability on short notice and outside normal working hours.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive safety orientation program to ensure that all employees are familiar with expectations for safety.
- Coordinate public safety training in the hazards of electricity.
EDUCATION, LICENSE & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required.
- Five years of experience specializing in safety, accident prevention and safety education required.
- In lieu of the degree requirement, an additional eight years of experience may replace the degree requirement.
- Certificate of accomplishment in Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred.
- Must qualify and maintain OSHA certifications as required and provided for completion of job duties.
- Must possess and maintain a current CPR/First Aid card.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Must demonstrate a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of safety, accident prevention, safety equipment, industrial hygiene practices, training methods and public speaking.
- General knowledge of overhead and underground line construction and maintenance; substation and switchyard construction; familiarity with transformer connections and current Safety Manual.
- Knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code and any applicable OSHA regulations.
Homer Electric Association is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled.
We invite you to join our team of professionals at Homer Electric Association. Come explore the extraordinary offers with work/life balance, competitive pay, and excellent benefits. Our employees enjoy a rewarding career with opportunities for growth and development. To learn more about Homer Electric Association, please visit us at www.homerelectric.com.
To apply for this job please visit homerelectric.applicantpro.com.