Company Name: Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems
Phone Number: (801) 566-3938
City: Salt Lake City
Job Title: Government Affairs Manager
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Management
Posting Start Date: June 8, 2018
Salary Per: Per Year
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Days
Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems (“UAMPS”) is a seeking a government affairs manager. UAMPS is a joint action agency that provides wholesale electric services, on a nonprofit basis, to community-owned power systems throughout six Intermountain West states. The UAMPS membership represents 46 members from Utah, California, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico and Wyoming. UAMPS presently operates 16 separate projects including ownership in conventional and renewable electric generation, power dispatch scheduling, transmission services, investigation of new power resources and energy efficiency programs through its SMARTENERGY Initiative.
This position is responsible for representing UAMPS in local, multi – state, and federal government forums. Lobbies for legislation that helps to further strategic objectives, coordinates activities with regional and national organizations, and serves as the organization’s liaison at water and power industry functions.
EXAMPLE OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works with General Counsel, Manager of Corporate and Member Relations and Director of Resource Strategy & Environmental Policy on legislative and regulatory matters impacting UAMPS. Prepares white papers, formal comments, testimony. Provides written and verbal communication to UAMPS members, stakeholders, state and federal agencies and legislative bodies.
- Responsible for strategic planning. Focuses on Utah legislature through direct lobbying efforts but will also cultivate and maintain key strategic legislative and regulatory relationships in the Intermountain West and Washington D.C. Utilizes contract lobbyists to implement strategic lobbying directives. Provides policymaker briefings and meetings. Compiling budgets for UAMPS legislative and regulatory functions.
- Assists with contract development. Works with General Counsel and Director of Resource Strategy & Environmental Policy on contract negotiations that may include contracting issues facing the Colorado River Storage Project, long term power supply procurement, and Engineering, Procurement, and Construction contracts under consideration.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree preferred (J.D. or other relevant degree).
- Excellent understanding of local, regional, and national legislative and policy forums.
- Knowledge of industry trends, standards, and regulations.
- Five or more years of related experience at either state or federal level or equivalent experience and background in electric utility issues, preferred but not required.
- Excellent leadership abilities.
- Able to organize, coordinate, and direct projects.
- Strong oral and written communications abilities.
- Solid analytical and technical skills.
How to Apply:
The position’s annual salary is based on experience and is complemented by a generous benefits package. Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter that includes job experience, major responsibilities and accomplishments related to this position to email@example.com. Applicants whose backgrounds most closely reflect the current needs of UAMPS may be invited to participate in an interview. Reference checks will be conducted on final candidates and hiring is subject to passing a background check.
Posting End Date: July 6, 2018