Company Name: Cowlitz PUD
Phone Number: (360) 501-9221
Job Title: GIS Technician
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Engineering
Posting Start Date: June 22, 2018
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide mapping and facility asset management for the District’s GIS using the District’s ArcMap/ArcFM based Geographic Information System (GIS) and work order management systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The GIS Technician will routinely and independently perform, with technical and policy guidance on basic, unusual or complex problems, the following:
- Assist in the maintenance of the District’s specialized and dedicated GIS, work design, and work order management software and integrated systems.
- Follow GIS department system procedures.
- Maintain and validate the data integrity and accuracy of the District’s GIS and work order management systems with respect to easement information, customer data, electrical facilities and equipment by reconciling, editing, and entering information gathered from various District documents, processes, employees and outside agencies. May involve mapping research in the field or in the office. Enter new map data using hard copy graphics, such as asbuilts, CAD drawings, or digitally created job maps as well as through digitizing and data entry.
- Support the District’s electric distribution analysis by creating, modifying, and updating the electric database network model and generating reports using the District’s analysis processes, queries, scripts and models.
- Produce, develop and deliver map products and related documents as requested for all departments. Demonstrated abilities to operate a variety of related equipment, such as digital camera and GPS unit.
- Assist in the improvement of process workflow, manpower efficiencies, and software utilization for system management. May assist in research, evaluation, and further development of integrated data management systems.
- Work cooperatively and jointly with personnel from all departments and outside agencies.
- Performs tasks as assigned by GIS Supervisor to help the Engineering business unit meet District goals and expectations.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates positive interpersonal and customer service skills to courteously deal with and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other District employees, outside vendors and the general public.
- Ability to work in multi-task work environment, with constant interruptions and distractions while maintaining and meeting strict deadlines for projects.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational, analytical, and knowledge of basic arithmetic and algebraic skills required.
- Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated in order to make independent decisions using sound judgment.
- Requires conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a professional business-like manner, both orally and in writing. Must understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of restricted or private information and records and effectively handle sensitive matters.
- Understanding of scripting languages and tools such as: SQL, Python, .NET, ArcGIS Model builder and other spatial data processing skills.
- Thorough knowledge of cartography including scaling and converting cartographic information to digital format is required.
- Thorough knowledge of ESRI’s ArcGIS suite. Knowledge of Schneider Electric ArcFM system a plus.
- May require work hours in excess of 8 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Must wear proper apparel for assigned working conditions in accordance with the District’s dress code policy.
- May require some travel (20%).
- Observe and abide by all District policies, goals and objectives.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for 50% of the time with up to 4 hours of consecutive computer work.
- Must be able to exchange phone conversations with office background noise.
- Must be able to position self to move up to 30 lbs.
- Must be capable of driving vehicles safely in all road conditions.
- Works in awkward positions.
- Physically able to traverse moderate terrain in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to pass post offer background check.
- Must have a valid Driver’s license and be able to drive safely in all-weather/road conditions.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Its intent is to be a general guide of the duties and tasks we may ask you to perform as part of your employment with us. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of your duties or responsibilities with us. Job descriptions are dynamic living documents that change, as business needs change. We may elect to clarify, change or even add to this job description and your list of assigned duties in the future. We operate as a team and from time to time, you may be required to complete other related duties as assigned. Be able to perform all tasks asked or assigned of you is an important part of being a team member and a key expectation for your position.
- A minimum of an Associate’s degree or equivalent in geographic information systems, geography, planning or computer science plus a minimum of one (1) year of experience providing GIS functions. An equivalent of education and experience may be qualifying.
Posting End Date: July 15, 2018