Company Name: Emerald People's Utility District
Phone Number: (541) 744-7457
Job Title: GIS Specialist
Number of Openings: 1
Position Type: Information Technology / IS and Application Support
Posting Start Date: May 3, 2018
Salary: $29.28 - $39.29
Salary Per: Per Hour
Work Time: 40
Work Time Type: Hours
Summary Statement: The Geographic Information System (GIS) Specialist plays a key role in Emerald’s long term strategic plan. This position provides support to the end users of Emerald’s mapping and GIS systems, including web, mobile, and desktop applications. This includes an array of services such as updating and maintaining system maps and related databases, providing mapping and analysis support to utility staff, and facilitating integration between mapping and other core software systems at Emerald. These critical functions play a key role in helping Emerald make continuous progress on the strategic initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Examples of Duties – Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Geographic Information Systems Support – Collaborate with Operations staff and other end users in keeping the utility’s GIS data in sync with changes made to the electrical system. Perform field location and verification of utility infrastructure. Read and interpret source documents such as maps and surveys. Produce maps, diagrams, and reports as requested for field operations or other utility staff. Supports mapping-related software and hardware, including a large format plotter. Assist and trains end users of GIS in Emerald’s mapping products.
- Technical Guidance- Act as Emerald’s resident Subject Matter Expert for GIS-related technologies. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of GIS technology and functionality. Participate in professional groups. Stay informed of new trends and innovations in the field of GIS and related systems. Work with IT and Systems Analyst staff on strategic technology solutions that will address existing issues, meet business needs and/or support the long term strategic plan.
- Communication and Collaboration- Focus on developing strong working relationships with colleagues in order to gain trust and cooperation. Collaborate with end users and stakeholders to identify opportunities and increase efficiencies. Present ideas, views, and project status updates in a clear and logical manner. Communicate with vendors and development partners in a professional manner and negotiate with tact. Provide exceptional service to both internal and external customers to help build Emerald’s brand as a trusted advisor and provider of choice.
- Work Management- Embrace the culture of empowerment by using sound judgment, thoroughly reviewing and analyzing problems, making reasonable recommendations, and developing alternate solutions when necessary. Work independently and take ownership of assignments, following through to ensure projects and tasks are completed on time and in a thorough manner. Take initiative to solve problems and explore opportunities to increase efficiencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have experience with ESRI software suite, including ArcMap 10.x, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Enterprise (either online or on premise), and associated mobile applications.
- Must have the ability to create, edit, and maintain a multi-user enterprise geodatabase according to industry best practices.
- Must have experience with network modeling, if not electric, then water, gas, or traffic.
- Must be able to produce maps and reports to support utility staff.
- Must have experience with Microsoft Office suite.
- Must be able to work in cross-functional teams in a cooperative and supportive manner.
- Must have the ability to work independently with minimum supervision and to manage time efficiently.
- Experience in mapping and GIS in an electric utility-related setting is strongly preferred.
- AutoCAD experience is a plus.
- Experience with Futura Systems solutions is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience working with relational database concepts and structures, including SQL syntax and writing queries against complex databases (e.g. T-SQL, P-SQL) is a plus.
- Knowledge and experience working with a general purpose programming language (e.g. Python, .NET) is a plus.
Education and Experience:
Acceptable Experience and Training:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in GIS or a related field such as Geography, Planning, Natural Resources, or Computer Science with an emphasis in GIS coursework and two (2) years of experience with GIS mapping and database management using ESRI ArcGIS software; or
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in GIS and three (3) years of experience with GIS mapping and database management using ESRI ArcGIS software; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the following:
- Completed EPUD application
- Your answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire
- Cover letter (Explain why you want to be considered for this position, and provide details about your past work-related experience to support your qualifications.)
- Veterans’ Preference Form, if applicable.
Application, Supplemental Questionnaire and complete position description are available at www.epud.org/careers/ or at the front desk. Position closes at 6 P.M., Thursday, May 31, 2018.
Please send application packet to:
Human Resources Manager Emerald PUD 33733 Seavey Loop Road Eugene, OR 97405
Applications with resume, questionnaire, and cover letter can also be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting End Date: May 31, 2018