Serve as a key member of the senior management team, which determines the strategic direction, operating philosophy, and internal policy of the organization. Provide leadership by creating challenging expectations, improving staff effectiveness, and giving timely and effective feedback.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) providing legal services and counsel to all organizations within Energy Northwest. The General Counsel will manage the Legal Services and Environmental & Regulatory Programs departments. The position also provides oversight of the activities and involvement of outside legal firms retained for special purposes and/or investigations. The position ensures that the legal interests of Energy Northwest are protected and considered by advising the Board of Directors, Executive Board, Participants’ Review Board, CEO and management/staff on all legal matters affecting the agency.
- Provide legal advice and counsel to all levels of staff and departments concerning policy issues and operational matters as well as leadership and management direction in support of the vision, strategic objectives and key business initiatives of Energy Northwest.
- Maintain knowledge of, and assure Energy Northwest compliance with federal and state statutes, regulations and court decisions.
- Provide executive-level review and oversight of diverse contract negotiations, leases, waivers, releases, financing documents and other documents on behalf of Energy Northwest.
- Protect Energy Northwest’s interests by initiating or defending Energy Northwest in lawsuits, administrative hearings and/or directing the conduct of said litigation by in-house legal staff or retained counsel.
- Manage and oversee the activities of the Legal Services and Environmental departments, including planning and assigning projects or tasks, monitoring progress reviews and evaluating results. Conduct performance management and evaluate staff performance. Provide staff with training and developmental opportunities. Develop current and future leaders through succession planning, use of developmental plans through active monitoring and coaching.
- Manage the budgets and overall expenditures for the Legal and Compliance Services organization, including litigation and transactional matters.
- Apply and support the application of sound leadership principles and techniques while personally demonstrating an expectation that Energy Northwest core values be continually applied in day-to-day activities.
- Identify opportunities and support new business initiatives.
Salary: $250,000 minimum to $350,000 midpoint
Typically, selected candidates are hired at a salary rate between the minimum and midpoint of the range, based on applicable experience and qualifications, market rate, internal equity, and budgetary allowances.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to race, color, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, national origin, veteran status or on the basis of disability.